1800 US Search?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
regoarrarr

1800 US Search?

Post by regoarrarr »

Has anyone ever used http://www.ussearch.com/ to track down missing members?

It looks like they have a 24 hour unlimited person search for $6.90. So my thought was (with some beforehand preparation) that I could track down just about all of my missing members.

A preliminary glance seems to indicate that they have just about all my missing members, and claim to have address / phone numbers for all of them.

It seems like it would be worth it - anyone else used this or other similar services? I saw one talking about using mailings and post office address scrubbers but this seems slightly different.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

regoarrarr wrote:Has anyone ever used http://www.ussearch.com/ to track down missing members?

It looks like they have a 24 hour unlimited person search for $6.90. So my thought was (with some beforehand preparation) that I could track down just about all of my missing members.

A preliminary glance seems to indicate that they have just about all my missing members, and claim to have address / phone numbers for all of them.

It seems like it would be worth it - anyone else used this or other similar services? I saw one talking about using mailings and post office address scrubbers but this seems slightly different.
Aside from the fact that this $6.90 could turn into a bunch of $$$ for the Church, I believe one of the tools that's used by those folks in SLC is the use of Missionaries working on the phones to make contact to family members to help locate those who we've lost track of.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
opee

Post by opee »

regoarrarr wrote:It seems like it would be worth it - anyone else used this or other similar services? I saw one talking about using mailings and post office address scrubbers but this seems slightly different.

A clerk in my Stake does this each year (not sure if it is the same service) and it has been fruitful for him in reconciling his membership records. He does not charge the ward for use, and says it is well worth it for the 24 hour period. Many times the local clerk will know more about the lost member than a missionary working on the UNKNOWN ADDRESS individuals and can possibly have a better success rate.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

opee wrote:A clerk in my Stake does this each year (not sure if it is the same service) and it has been fruitful for him in reconciling his membership records. He does not charge the ward for use, and says it is well worth it for the 24 hour period.
I commend him for magnifying his calling. However, we should not condone members using their own funds in any aspect of their callings. While some members feel they can absorb incidental expenses, it places too much pressure on those who cannot do the same. Church guidance is that the stake or ward budget allowance should be used to pay for all Church activites, programs, and supplies. The budget allowance was created to reduce the financial and time burdens on members.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
regoarrarr

Post by regoarrarr »

Larry - thanks for the link on integrasearch

Seemed pretty useful. But I noticed that after about 5-8 searches it no longer showed me the free preview. It must be timing out on my IP address or something.

Anyone else notice that or know of any good way to get around it?
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

When I'm not sure where someone is, I run the name and DOB through http://www.usa-people-search.com. For free, it will turn up a handful of possibilities as far as city and state, that I can then try at whitepages.com. To get more detail on usa-people-search would cost something, but I've never done that.

Return to “Membership Help”