Church server virtualization

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
dtaylor26-p40

Church server virtualization

Post by dtaylor26-p40 »

I recently saw on Bro. Dehlin's blog that the Church is starting to use virtualization for many of its environments, and Windows was mentioned. I'm curious as to what virtualization product is being used for Windows. If this question can't be answered because of usage restrictions or policy, that's no problem, I just thought I'd ask.

I apologize in advance if this question has been previously posted, I wasn't able to find it.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'm not sure which product we use. However I know that over the past year many of the physical machines (including tech.lds.org) have been moved to virtual machines.

Tom
HintonBR

Post by HintonBR »

I thought it was VMWare, but I am not certain.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

HintonBR wrote:I thought it was VMWare, but I am not certain.
I think that is what we use but I'm not 100% certain. I do want to say one thing. Sometimes at the Church we are hesitant to reveal about products we use. There are a couple of reasons.

1. We don't want people to think that just because we use a particular product that it is the best product. It may be the best for what we need given many factors that do not apply to others.
2. Sometimes it is a security or licensing issue.

So sorry in advance if we don't answer some of these types of questions.

Tom

Return to “Emerging Technologies”