A community bulletin board on Ward Websites

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
nutterb

A community bulletin board on Ward Websites

Post by nutterb »

I don't have much hope that posting this here will gain it any attention, but I didn't think it would hurt to try and put it somewhere where a few more eyes can see it besides my Stake Administrators.

For several years, my ward has run a GoogleGroup for ward communication. Over time, this became the popular avenue for not only official messages from ward leaders, but non-official messages for commercial and social purposes. For this reason we recently shut it down.

We've been trying to encourage our members to begin using the LUWS, and as was expected, the response has been slow. One of the major complaints about switching from the non-official e-mail group to the LUWS is that the LUWS doesn't seem to be a place amenable to some of the uses the non-official group could facilitate.

For example, we have a highly transient ward, with about 70% of our families having moved here to pursue advanced degrees. It's very typical for us to have as many as eight families move out of the ward in a year (and hopefully eight move in to replace them). Often times, in preparing to move, these families will shed some of their furniture, and the common practice has been to notify the ward over the unofficial e-mail list that something was available. Sometimes e-mails were broadcast advertising a social gathering, such as a baby shower, or a girls night out at an ice cream place.

What do you think of the idea of adding a "Bulletin Board" to the LUWS that allows such communications to be sent without interfering with the content of the LUWS?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

nutterb wrote:I don't have much hope that posting this here will gain it any attention, but I didn't think it would hurt to try and put it somewhere where a few more eyes can see it besides my Stake Administrators.

What do you think of the idea of adding a "Bulletin Board" to the LUWS that allows such communications to be sent without interfering with the content of the LUWS?
I like that idea a lot. A new version of LUWS is being planned and there is a list of bug fixes and feature requests on an LDS Tech Wiki page. Also, it may comfort you to know that this is the perfect audience to make this suggestion to, as on the page I'm linking to below is a statement from a Church employee that the volunteer Community may be the ones implementing the next version of LUWS. The link below will probably be the brainstorm basis for planning the next version of LUWS:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LUW ... uggestions
nutterb wrote: *emphasis added*
For example, we have a highly transient ward, with about 70% of our families having moved here to pursue advanced degrees. It's very typical for us to have as many as eight families move out of the ward in a year (and hopefully eight move in to replace them).
Not exactly what I call "highly transient". :) Perhaps you meant "per month"?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”