High Council order MLS bug 2.9.3

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
slmsz20

High Council order MLS bug 2.9.3

Post by slmsz20 »

High Council call order is not being preserved. Really annoying to have to play musical chairs with the officers sustained list every Stake conference.

MLS seems to rearrange them by something other than date sustained after initial entry (I tried removing and re-adding, re-arranging call order etc..., but nothing sticks). The order in the Stake organizations is not a big deal since you can just click on the date sustained column to fix it, but it is annoying when we have to rearrange it on the Officer's sustained list every six months.

Bug happening in current version 2.9.3
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JKELogan wrote:High Council call order is not being preserved. Really annoying to have to play musical chairs with the officers sustained list every Stake conference.

Bug happening in current version 2.9.3
Are you clicking on the Save button after rearranging the order? In the test stake database, using MLS 2.9.3, I have rearranged a set of high councilors several different ways, backwards, alphabetically, and then exited MLS each time. Upon returning, they are always in the order I last left them, as long as I click on the save button.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Are you clicking on the Save button after rearranging the order? In the test stake database, using MLS 2.9.3, I have rearranged a set of high councilors several different ways, backwards, alphabetically, and then exited MLS each time. Upon returning, they are always in the order I last left them, as long as I click on the save button.
I was speaking here about the order in the Organizations list under High Council. You have found a real bug here.

The Sustaining list does not populate properly. But to make matters worse, once you go to the Sustaining list and then back to the Organizations list, the improperly ordered Sustaining list is now the order in which the Organizations list appears.

In other words, the list will stay in the same order in the Organizations list as long as you do not go to the Sustaining list. But once you go to the Sustaining list, which is always wrong, the Organizations list is corrupted to match the incorrect Sustaining list, and they are both wrong.

MLS 2.9.3 does indeed have a bug here.
Jimmer-p40

I agree...... to a point.

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

I agree, that the list seems to be completely random. I also agree that the lists are not in sync with each other.
However, other than "traditions" there should not be a concern for the High Council members to be listed based on how long they have been in the High Council (set apart date) so as to insinuate some sort of seniority. I can see where you would want to know how long someone has been in the High Council to look at training or callings but in general, it makes sense to me that the High Counselors should be listed based on name at least.:)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Jimmer wrote:I agree, that the list seems to be completely random. I also agree that the lists are not in sync with each other.
However, other than "traditions" there should not be a concern for the High Council members to be listed based on how long they have been in the High Council (set apart date) so as to insinuate some sort of seniority. I can see where you would want to know how long someone has been in the High Council to look at training or callings but in general, it makes sense to me that the High Counselors should be listed based on name at least.:)
Let's not get off into a discussion of whether it is proper to keep track of seniority -- there may well be valid reasons for that, but that's irrelevant here. What is relevant is that in MLS:
  • It is desirable to have an order for callings, including the High Council
  • This order needs to be consistent (not change randomly)
  • MLS has a feature for setting the order.
  • That feature used to work and keep the order of callings consistent.
  • Recently (apparently in MLS 2.9.3) MLS functionality changed so that the callings are not in order after accessing the Officers Sustained Form.
  • It is desirable to return to the prior functionality of ordering callings according to the order specified in MLS.
Jimmer-p40

Oh yeah

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

Your right Alan, I need to stick to the tech side of the issue. My apologies.
Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Jimmer wrote:Your right Alan, I need to stick to the tech side of the issue. My apologies.
Thanks

But it is a valid issue on the tech side. Will the problem go anywhere from here, or do we need to run it up the MLS messaging or support e-mail chain?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:But it is a valid issue on the tech side. Will the problem go anywhere from here, or do we need to run it up the MLS messaging or support e-mail chain?
You can never depend on anything discussed here getting to the eyes of the people in charge of reporting and fixing problems. But I have reported this problem to Clerk Support, so they are now aware of it.
Jimmer-p40

IT's fixed in the upcomming version of MLS

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

I have a connection with some of the people on the "inside" and they have it fixed in MLS 3.0. they said that there is a chance that they will come out with an upgrade Ex: MLS 2.9.4 that also has the fix but can't make any promises. I have seen it fixed in the MLS 3.0 though.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:Recently (apparently in MLS 2.9.3) MLS functionality changed so that the callings are not in order after accessing the Officers Sustained Form.

Actually, the callings get out of order, even if you haven't accessed the Officers Sustained Form. Simply going into the High Council organization list causes the list to get reordered; if not on the first time in, it scrambles on the second time.
Jimmer wrote:I have a connection with some of the people on the "inside" and they have it fixed in MLS 3.0. they said that there is a chance that they will come out with an upgrade Ex: MLS 2.9.4 that also has the fix but can't make any promises. I have seen it fixed in the MLS 3.0 though.

That's good to hear. This bug does make a mess of the Officers Sustained Form for our upcoming stake conference (but I doubt a fix will be delivered before our conference).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”