Book of Mormon Video - How to get viewers?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
douglas.a.hatch-p40

Book of Mormon Video - How to get viewers?

Post by douglas.a.hatch-p40 »

Just released another video on the MormonsMadeSimple.com site called 'The Book of Mormon - made simple.' I'm trying to figure out how to get eyeballs for these videos. Does anyone have any suggestions? On another note, do people think these videos are generally helpful. Each one takes between 25-35 hours to make. I've got a queue of about 8-10 more topics that I'd like to eventually produce. But a lot of that depends on how successful these first couple of videos are...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think they're good, but I'm not the target audience.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I think they are great and my children loves them too.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

The latest video is absolutely fabulous. I'm so impressed!!!!

Brad O.
douglas.a.hatch-p40

Post by douglas.a.hatch-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:I think they're good, but I'm not the target audience.
Actually Russell, you're part of the target audience. :-) By design, I tried to make these videos very "informational" as opposed to "preachy." I wanted members to feel comfortable posting these to blogs, social networking sites, etc in a very non-confrontational way. Or if someone at the office says "hey Joe, you're a Mormon right? what's that all about?" (read: curious, but not necessarily interested) then that person can respond with "here, check out this website. It explains a little about what I believe. And if you have questions let's talk about it."

The professionally-produced videos from the church play an important role in the member missionary process, but I think sometimes they are too "heavy" for a casual conversation. I wanted to give people a tool they could use to at least inform people of what Mormons believe and set the record straight. People probably won't get the warm fuzzies from the holy ghost watching these videos (like they would with the other church videos), but I think that informing people about our beliefs is an important step in the conversion process and could open up the door for other, more-spiritual teaching opportunities.

So, I guess I'd be interested to hear whether people on this forum think these videos are addressing this niche effectively.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

douglas.a.hatch wrote:Actually Russell, you're part of the target audience. :-) By design, I tried to make these videos very "informational" as opposed to "preachy." I wanted members to feel comfortable posting these to blogs, social networking sites, etc
Ok, I think it passes Part 1 of the test. :) But there's still the question of how the non-member reacts to it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Ok, I think it passes Part 1 of the test. :) But there's still the question of how the non-member reacts to it.
Just log in under your non-member forum user account and give us your opinion of the video! :p
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

douglas.a.hatch wrote:Actually Russell, you're part of the target audience. :-) By design, I tried to make these videos very "informational" as opposed to "preachy." I wanted members to feel comfortable posting these to blogs, social networking sites, etc in a very non-confrontational way. Or if someone at the office says "hey Joe, you're a Mormon right? what's that all about?" (read: curious, but not necessarily interested) then that person can respond with "here, check out this website. It explains a little about what I believe. And if you have questions let's talk about it."

The professionally-produced videos from the church play an important role in the member missionary process, but I think sometimes they are too "heavy" for a casual conversation. I wanted to give people a tool they could use to at least inform people of what Mormons believe and set the record straight. People probably won't get the warm fuzzies from the holy ghost watching these videos (like they would with the other church videos), but I think that informing people about our beliefs is an important step in the conversion process and could open up the door for other, more-spiritual teaching opportunities.

So, I guess I'd be interested to hear whether people on this forum think these videos are addressing this niche effectively.
Personally (and it is just my personal opinion) I like them and I think you have hit the nail nicely with them and I also like all the links and adding you can do and include them as part of other sites etc.
I think they are informative and light (without loosing the serious message - thats important) and could work really nicely as step 1 for a non-member. Step 2 could then be a church video or story or missionary or conversation about it all.

Who knows, you might inspire someone within the church so the church will think about doing some "lightweight" videos.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

G'day! The site is excellent and the videos are very well done. I think they'd be a great resource for people to use when introducing the Church to friends on-line (and even offline!).

Small observation about the "Attending a Mormon Church Service" video... It says that visitors usually go to the "Gospel Doctrine" class during Sunday School. This should be "Gospel Essentials".

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more.
HintonBR

Try Twitter

Post by HintonBR »

Try Twitter - there is a pretty good community there (use #lds in your messages)

Return to “General Discussions”