10 digit dialing in Utah for MLS.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Jimmer-p40

10 digit dialing in Utah for MLS.

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

In July of 2007 we received news that Utah was going to receive a new area code to allow for more numbers in in growing Utah areas.
The new 385 area code will cover the same geographic area as the existing 801 area code. The 385 area code will affect residents in the following counties: Davis, Morgan, Salt Lake, Weber, and Utah.

On March 1, everyone living in those counties will have to dial 10 digits to make a local call.

My MLS has a local number that it uses to transmit. I am certain that our area code is not part of the dialer number used to transmit.

The good news is that I have heard from a good source that the Church will be sending down a fix to all of the wards that will put the right area code in front of the wards regular dialer number this weekend. I also found out that some time after Tuesday of next week that the Church will be adding the 801 prefix to telephone numbers in household records that do not currently have an area code listed.

Just a suggestion, all wards in those counties should transmitt before March 1st to make sure they get the fix.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Jimmer wrote:I also found out that some time after Tuesday of next week that the Church will be adding the 801 prefix to telephone numbers in household records that do not currently have an area code listed.
I wish this had come out much earlier than now. I spent a few hours a couple of months ago manually updating every phone number in MLS. :rolleyes:
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mkmurray wrote:I wish this had come out much earlier than now. I spent a few hours a couple of months ago manually updating every phone number in MLS. :rolleyes:

I went through the same thing last year when Southern California moved to 10 digit dialing. Looks like a sign of the times with the explosion of portable devices.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Jimmer wrote:The good news is that I have heard from a good source that the Church will be sending down a fix to all of the wards that will put the right area code in front of the wards regular dialer number this weekend. I also found out that some time after Tuesday of next week that the Church will be adding the 801 prefix to telephone numbers in household records that do not currently have an area code listed.
Very thoughtful of them. Be sure to check that it actually happens, though. With the last update In our area it never happened. We had to manually update the dialer number and all the records. It was several years ago. We also had some dialer numbers changed to what CHQ thought were local numbers, but were not. We had to put them back on the 800 number.

Hope it works. If so, it will be wonderful. And be glad they told you before they actually did it. Our STC got the calls on Sunday when the Send/Receives would not work, and never thought to check the dialer number. [grin]

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”