Enhancement Requests from Stake Presidents

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
BrainClay

Enhancement Requests from Stake Presidents

Post by BrainClay »

Hi,

Not sure this is the correct "forum" for posting enhancement requests, but I actually have three. I am a counsellor in a mission presidency, so work closely with six stake presidents in advancing the work of reactivation, as well as missionary work.

1. One thing I have heard from a couple stake presidents is to have the ability to run reports on the stake MLS for a particular ward as if they were logged in as that ward. For example, It would be really helpful if the stake president could print the Bishopric Interview and Action Report for a given ward prior to his monthly interview with each bishop, so that he could familiarize himself with that ward.

2. More and more stakes are no longer printing membership directories. As a counsellor in the mission presidency, I frequently need to contact the Relief Society President or Bishop of a particular ward. I can get that information from the stake president, but it would be easier if I could be granted permissions to those stake websites that exist within my mission. The easiest way might be just to grant me access to a list of stakes, rather than try to put in a structure of stakes within missions.

3. One stake president was working on a major boundary realignment, affecting every ward in his stake. He had manually put in geo-codes in the previous version of the software, and then upgraded to MLS. The upgrade process did not migrate his geo-codes. This would be a great test scenario to put in your test scripts for QA to execute the next time you upgrade MLS.

Thanks!
Brian Palmer
303/231-4218
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bcpalmer60 wrote: 2. More and more stakes are no longer printing membership directories. As a counsellor in the mission presidency, I frequently need to contact the Relief Society President or Bishop of a particular ward. I can get that information from the stake president, but it would be easier if I could be granted permissions to those stake websites that exist within my mission. The easiest way might be just to grant me access to a list of stakes, rather than try to put in a structure of stakes within missions.
Ask each of the Stakes' web administrators to add you in as a "Non-Resident Member" to their site. They will need your membership record number and confirmation date. But once that's done, I think it will give you what you want.
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

bcpalmer60 wrote:3. One stake president was working on a major boundary realignment, affecting every ward in his stake. He had manually put in geo-codes in the previous version of the software, and then upgraded to MLS. The upgrade process did not migrate his geo-codes. This would be a great test scenario to put in your test scripts for QA to execute the next time you upgrade MLS.
This was a known issue. The MLS upgrade instructions we were given (here anyway) detailed step by step how we should print these various MIS reports and then re-key certain data back into the MLS program after we upgraded, straight off freshly the printed report. I gather it was probably deemed easier for all of us to spend 30-45 minutes for a one-time job than the amount of time / effort required to write, test, and debug a conversion tool to upgrade everyone's existing data--a tool that would be used once in each ward and then discarded.

Of course skipping those more cumbersome steps of the upgrade process would result in you not having the more specific data you're looking for anymore.

-Jeff
faireskind

Post by faireskind »

bcpalmer60 wrote:1. One thing I have heard from a couple stake presidents is to have the ability to run reports on the stake MLS for a particular ward as if they were logged in as that ward. For example, It would be really helpful if the stake president could print the Bishopric Interview and Action Report for a given ward prior to his monthly interview with each bishop, so that he could familiarize himself with that ward.
Perhaps there you have a better example, but the Bishopric Action and Interview Report is already set up to run for a given unit. You choose this by selecting a particular unit in the upper-right corner of the screen just above the place where you may select the sections to show.

I can't think of a membership type report that can't be run for a particular unit rather than for the stake as a whole.
BrainClay

Thanks!

Post by BrainClay »

This is very useful - just a training issue!
BrainClay

Post by BrainClay »

RussellHltn wrote:Ask each of the Stakes' web administrators to add you in as a "Non-Resident Member" to their site. They will need your membership record number and confirmation date. But once that's done, I think it will give you what you want.

:confused:
I tried this with one stake, but it didn't have the desired result: Once added to another stake, I could no longer access my own stake's website. Would this have worked if every stake placed me as a non-resident member? We played around with it a big, and got the impression that you could only be a member of one stake/ward at a time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bcpalmer60 wrote::confused:
I tried this with one stake, but it didn't have the desired result: Once added to another stake, I could no longer access my own stake's website.
Might want to call support and see if that's a bug or by design.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”