Connecting to Oddessy client Family history centre

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

Connecting to Oddessy client Family history centre

Post by stephen500 »

I am the asst stake clerk for Chester England Stake, Family history.
Here is the context of the problem I have been having.
Birkenhead ward and family history centre were shut down and amalagmated with Moreton ward.
Moreton had a family history centre.
The stake president decided that Moreton chapel for too small for the amalgamated ward (above) and moved Moreton ward into the physical building of Birkenhead chapel.
So now I had to connect Moreton family history centre computer to oddssey client at the old Birkenhead building now known as Moreton ward....!!!!
Birkenhead chapel had its own ccid number as did Moreton.
We attempted to connect using both Moreton and Birkenhead ccid numbers.
I was not able to establish any connection using Moreton's ccid number.
I was able to establish a connection using Birkenhead's ccid number in the new Moreton (old Birkenhead) chapel , but was unable to get up any internet pages either family search or google.
So cnn facility shows authenticated connection but no internet pages are viewable??
In another ward I changed to cnn roaming and this solved the problem, however changing to cnn roaming did not solve the problem on this occassion.
I have had the fault upgraded a level and will be ringing back the oddessy client helpdesk on Tuesday But if any one else can point me in the right direction I will be grateful.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a lot of things that could be going on.

Are you sure the "new" building has wireless? I say that because on this side of the pond, not all buildings have wireless installed. You could be connecting to a neighbor.

Also, Odyssey was a client used in older Church installs. It's no longer used as part of new installs. So perhaps the Odyssey client needs to be removed.

Lastly, there are different filtering levels for access. Since the old system was running Odyssey and served a FHC, it probably had "General Access". The one in the new building may be much tighter. I doubt if it would allow Google. Try going to lds.org.

That said, your best bet would be to call up support since they can give you the specifics of the new building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The Church is migrating away from using Odyssey Client as a means of controlling wireless access. As such they have not upgraded their licensed version of Odyssey Client to support Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) or Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2). The licensed version of Odyssey Client the Church has uses only the depricated Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) protocol which is less secure than WPA or WPA2.

Since you are trying to solve a connectivity issue you may just as well uninstall Odyssey Client from the computers and have the GSD tech people remove the Odyssey Client scripting from the wireless access points and have them scripted for LDSAccess. LDSAccess uses the WPA protocol. I have not checked but it may also be compatible with WPA2. LDSAccess does not require third party network control software to function.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Since you are trying to solve a connectivity issue you may just as well uninstall Odyssey Client from the computers and have the GSD tech people remove the Odyssey Client scripting from the wireless access points and have them scripted for LDSAccess. LDSAccess uses the WPA protocol. I have not checked but it may also be compatible with WPA2. LDSAccess does not require third party network control software to function.
Not a bad idea, but any changes will have to be done to all affected computers, not just the one new one.

I forget, is LDSAccess the one that's supposed to be most like the old FHC one or does it have a different name.... I'm running out the door right now. I'l have to check later.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I forget, is LDSAccess the one that's supposed to be most like the old FHC one or does it have a different name.

That question doesn't make much sense. LDSAccess is a wireless security profile using WPA. It is used on Cisco Aironet Wireless Access Points and replaces the old "moroni" profile that required the Odyssey client.

But your question seems to be obliquely referring to a filtering mechanism called General Access which has been used in Family History Centers for years that have a Cisco PIX firewall, and which is recently been made available on the Cisco ASA firewalls that are part of the Meetinghouse Internet program. The other two profiles that have been available for some time on the ASA firewalls are called LDS Restricted Access and LDS Extended Access. But those filtering profiles have nothing at all to do with the wireless security profile which unfortunately has a similar name (LDSAccess).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:But your question seems to be obliquely referring to a filtering mechanism called General Access which has been used in Family History Centers for years that have a Cisco PIX firewall, and which is recently been made available on the Cisco ASA firewalls that are part of the Meetinghouse Internet program.
That's the one! I'm going to have to keep a set of notes to keep track of this stuff.

stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

Thanks for your reply.
I solved the problem by making Oddssesy CNN Facillity and reseting the Cisco access point by disconnecting and turning it off for two minutes.
It now works fine.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”