Ward Website access errors

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Ward Website access errors

Post by dmaynes »

I'm not sure if the ward websites are down, if my ward's website access link is broken, if my account has is corrupted, or if I'm losing my marbles, but...

I can't access the ward website this morning. When I sign on as usual, I see an error page:

https://secure.lds.org/errors
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it.
I have tried to access the websites from two different computers and I have tried to access using my account and my wife's account from both systems with the same result. I have also attempted access using Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome.

I have also tried to access the ward page directly using a bookmark, with no result also.

I have also changed my password, without being able to login.

I have navigated to the sign-in page by clicking through the www.lds.org link, entering the URL http://www.lds.org/units, and by entering the URL https://secure.lds.org/units.

There is an intermediate page that IE displays but that Firefox brushes past:

https://secure.lds.org/units/a/login/1, ... .html?URL=

When IE attempts to display this page it states that the webpage has expired.

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Thanks,
Dennis
gbwilcox-p40

Post by gbwilcox-p40 »

Having the same problem here. My guess is that it is down/under maintenance.
dmaynes

It's not an account issue, and it's not just my ward...

Post by dmaynes »

dmaynes wrote:I'm not sure if the ward websites are down, if my ward's website access link is broken, if my account has is corrupted, or if I'm losing my marbles, but...
I navigated to my ward using http://maps.lds.org and clicked the website link (this is a direct access page to the ward's main page without logging in). I saw a little more information in the error report than what I saw previously:
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Error ID: 876758

Please use the Try Again button.
If you return to this page, we apologize, but you will need to come back later.

When I click on the website links for the other two wards meeting in our building I get the same error message (with a different error number).

I then clicked on four more ward links that were returned in the maps query. None of them are being displayed.

Thanks,
Dennis
aebrown
Community Administrator

LUWS is down right now

Post by aebrown »

It doesn't matter how you try to get to the local unit web sites (from the home page of lds.org, from maps.lds.org, or from a bookmark). The site is down at this point. I'm sure it's being worked on and will probably be back up soon.
aebrown
Community Administrator

LUWS is up again

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:It doesn't matter how you try to get to the local unit web sites (from the home page of lds.org, from maps.lds.org, or from a bookmark). The site is down at this point. I'm sure it's being worked on and will probably be back up soon.
Indeed, the local unit web sites seem to be up and functioning properly now.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

Alan_Brown wrote:It doesn't matter how you try to get to the local unit web sites (from the home page of lds.org, from maps.lds.org, or from a bookmark). The site is down at this point. I'm sure it's being worked on and will probably be back up soon.
You are probably right, but since different paths are being followed and different mechanisms are used to pull up the website page, it seemed prudent to exercise those paths. By doing that, I could determine more information about the nature of the failure. For example, a direct link such as that provided by maps.lds.org follows a very different access than the login path. I appreciate your review and looking at this issue.
ShirtsDre

Web site was down.

Post by ShirtsDre »

It is confirmed that the web site was down for about 7 hours.
The problem has been corrected.
It shouldn't happen again.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
dmaynes

LUWS appears to be down again

Post by dmaynes »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:It is confirmed that the web site was down for about 7 hours.
The problem has been corrected.
It shouldn't happen again.
I just received this error message, attempting to access the LUWS.
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Error ID: 904217

Please use the Try Again button.
If you return to this page, we apologize, but you will need to come back later.

Is regular maintenance being performed on Monday nights? A notice that states the website is down would definitely be more friendly than the above error message.

Thanks,
Dennis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:Is regular maintenance being performed on Monday nights? A notice that states the website is down would definitely be more friendly than the above error message.

The site is definitely down right now. It doesn't matter whether you are logging in or just accessing the public pages.

I completely agree that the message should be improved, if that is technically reasonable. Someone might be trying to find a meetinghouse using maps.lds.org and receive this unhelpful message. We can do better.

I have seen no evidence that there is regular maintenance on Monday nights -- it just seems that there have been sporadic problems, and they have definitely been worse lately. I wonder if this is a result of the transition to LDS Account authentication.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

Alan_Brown wrote:I have seen no evidence that there is regular maintenance on Monday nights -- it just seems that there have been sporadic problems, and they have definitely been worse lately. I wonder if this is a result of the transition to LDS Account authentication.
The site was down on January 27, February 3, and today, February 10 (the last three Tuesdays). The message on 1/27 and today is an error message about the object not being available or the server being told not to provide it. The message on 2/3 was a notice that the site was down. The site outages are definitely not random or sporadic. Statistically, the probability of having 3 days being down in the last 3 weeks and all being the same day of the week is .0056 (about one chance in 200). One would infer that the instability is related to activity and maintenance initiated on Monday.

In my own personal schedule, I would prefer that the site be down on a Thursday. But, I expect that Tuesday is not bad either. The days closer to the weekend when people are looking for a meetinghouse and reviewing ward calendars would definitely not be desired.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”