Check Spelling with Firefox

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

Check Spelling with Firefox

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I remember seeing somewhere that someone said they copied their posts and email broadcasts into Microsoft Word to spell check them. I just wanted to point out a discovery I just made... :)

When you use Mozilla Firefox for your web browser, you can right-click in the field you are typing in, and click "Check Spelling". If you do it again, it will turn it back off. Little red lines will appear under misspelled words, and you can change them just like you change them in Microsoft Word (right click on them and select the correct word).

It even works in these forums... try it on your next post. :)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

AileneRHerrick wrote:I remember seeing somewhere that someone said they copied their posts and email broadcasts into Microsoft Word to spell check them. I just wanted to point out a discovery I just made... :)

When you use Mozilla Firefox for your web browser, you can right-click in the field you are typing in, and click "Check Spelling". If you do it again, it will turn it back off. Little red lines will appear under misspelled words, and you can change them just like you change them in Microsoft Word (right click on them and select the correct word).

It even works in these forums... try it on your next post. :)
Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. It might even take some of the burden off us moderators in correcting spelling errors :rolleyes:
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Techgy wrote:Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. It might even take some of the burden off us moderators in correcting spelling errors :rolleyes:
Or relieve some embarrassment on my part from not taking the time to check my spelling. It wasn't until I opened something in Firefox that I realized that I made two nasty spelling errors on one news item! Anyone who read that probably thought, "Uh, what's wrong with her?" Hahaha... so yes... lifting burdens, and lifting embarassment! :o
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

A word of caution: I have had intermittent success with Firefox flagging misspelled words. As a result I have resorted to clicking the Preview Post button before sumbitting a post. For some reason Firefox is able to flag mispelled words in the editing window much better after I do that. Perhaps my installation has become corrupted somehow, or there is something else I am missing.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jbh001 wrote:A word of caution: I have had intermittent success with Firefox flagging misspelled words. As a result I have resorted to clicking the Preview Post button before sumbitting a post. For some reason Firefox is able to flag mispelled words in the editing window much better after I do that. Perhaps my installation has become corrupted somehow, or there is something else I am missing.

Well I've noticed that you can turn the spell-check on and off with Firefox, simply by right-clicking and selecting "Check Spelling." Try misspelling a word and clicking the "Check Spelling" on and off and you'll see what I mean. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem you experienced or not. If not, then we'll have to be sure to triple check our spelling! :)

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”