LUWS password change not working

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
studentclerk-p40

LUWS password change not working

Post by studentclerk-p40 »

My wife hadn't used her LUWS u/n or password in ages and recently tried to log on. We entered her u/n, membership # and confirmation date. It took us to a screen to change her password, which we did. However, we can't log on using that password. We've changed it a couple of times and even waited 24 hours, but we still can't log on using that u/n or password.

studentclerk.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

studentclerk wrote:My wife hadn't used her LUWS u/n or password in ages and recently tried to log on. We entered her u/n, membership # and confirmation date. It took us to a screen to change her password, which we did. However, we can't log on using that password. We've changed it a couple of times and even waited 24 hours, but we still can't log on using that u/n or password.

studentclerk.
What browser are you using? If you're using FireFox and the AddOn named "NoScript" be sure you're permitting the scripts to run for site. Are you seeing any error messages and if so, what do they say?

Another suggestion is that your account may have been disabled by the ward/stake web site administrator. You may wish to contact that individual and have your account checked. This action would require administrator access to the LUWS (local unit web site).
dmaynes

Reproduced problem - new password not saved

Post by dmaynes »

studentclerk wrote:My wife hadn't used her LUWS u/n or password in ages and recently tried to log on. We entered her u/n, membership # and confirmation date. It took us to a screen to change her password, which we did. However, we can't log on using that password. We've changed it a couple of times and even waited 24 hours, but we still can't log on using that u/n or password.

studentclerk.
I thought I would see if this problem reproduces for me. I used my wife's u/n and created a new password. When I went to login I received the following error:
The username or password you have provided has not been registered. If you want to sign in with your LDS Account username and password, try our beta login page.
This is the same error that happens when you give the LUWS login screen a bad username. And, was recently introduced with the beta process for the LDS Accounts.

I changed the password back to the original password and I was able to sign in.

I changed the password back to the new password and I could not sign in.

Without changing the password, I signed in using the old password.

It appears as if the page to change the passwords doesn't change passwords.

Thanks,
Dennis
studentclerk-p40

Techgy wrote:What browser are you using? If you're using FireFox and the AddOn named "NoScript" be sure you're permitting the scripts to run for site. Are you seeing any error messages and if so, what do they say?

Another suggestion is that your account may have been disabled by the ward/stake web site administrator. You may wish to contact that individual and have your account checked. This action would require administrator access to the LUWS (local unit web site).

I have admin rights and her account hasn't been disabled. Using Firefox but no addon named noscript.

No error messages at all, my experience is identical to the other poster, but in my case we don't remember my wife's original password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

studentclerk wrote:My wife hadn't used her LUWS u/n or password in ages and recently tried to log on.
By any chance does she have a LDS Account? I'm thinking that password changes might be disabled for those individuals to allow the LDS Account to LUWS that has just gone into beta to work.

If she doesn't, then perhaps you might consider signing her up for a LDS Access and see if that solves the problem. LUWS logins will be phased out shortly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
studentclerk-p40

She didn't have an LDS account but after having so much trouble switching her password, we signed her up for LDS account and she can log on that way.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

studentclerk wrote:She didn't have an LDSAccess account but after having so much trouble switching her password, we signed her up for LDSAccess and she can log on that way.

Let's not confuse things. There is no such thing as an "LDSAccess account". What is intended here is "LDS Account", accessible via http://ldsaccount.lds.org, and which LUWS is transitioning to using.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

RussellHltn wrote:By any chance does she have a LDSAccess account? I'm thinking that password changes might be disabled for those individuals to allow the LDSAccess to LUWS that has just gone into beta to work.
This is not the case. My wife does not have an LDS Account. It appears that the introduction of the beta process for the LDS Account has broken the ability for LUWS users that do not have an LDS Account to change their passwords. If so, it could potentially force some users to use LDS Account prematurely. I do not believe that effect is intended with the beta process.
studentclerk-p40

Bottom line is, the change password page is broken.
AileneRHerrick

This happened to a member of our ward too.

Post by AileneRHerrick »

We experienced the same problem with a member of our ward. He could not remember his password, so he tried to reset it multiple times and was still not able to log in. He was very frustrated with it, and I felt bad for not being able to help him further.

Any word on when LDS Account will be the exclusive way for signing in to LUWS?

Thanks for all of your hardwork, to everyone who has been working on this transition! We really appreciate it! Really, we do!

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”