The Local Unit Copier Program and How It Can Help You

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree or disagree with this article?

I have no opinion
80%
I have no opinion
No votes
I have no opinion
20%

Total votes: 10

McDanielCA

The Local Unit Copier Program and How It Can Help You

Post by McDanielCA »

The Local Unit Copier Program and How It Can Help You was originally posted on the main page of LDS Tech. It was written by Dennis Horne

----------------------------------------------

Copiers have long been useful in enabling local units to communicate with and inform members of necessary things, such as programs, lessons, minutes, talks, certificates, phone number and address lists, and roles. All of these would either disappear or become far more time-consuming and expensive if not for today’s copiers and multifunctional devices (MFD).

Since 2005, for the U.S. and Canada, the Church has instituted a copier purchase program. Purchased copiers have been placed in all authorized meetinghouse locations in the United States and Canada. Under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric, this new program replaced the former leasing program, and is administered cooperatively by the Materials Management Department (Purchasing Division), and the Physical Facilities Department (facilities management groups). These groups work with the Headquarters Copier Administration team to set standards, develop guidelines, choose vendors, and negotiate prices. Better and faster copiers or MFDs have been purchased at a much lower cost than would otherwise be possible.

The single most difficult obstacle to overcome during the transition process is the education and training of local members with copier responsibility. Members often don’t have experience with newer copier technology.

The LDS Tech Clerks and Technology Support Forum presents continually expanding copier program information. This forum serves as a repository of the latest information about the Church’s current copier program and copier technology.

Helping Members Perform Their Callings in Temporal Matters

Headquarters Copier Administration, a group charged with assisting Facilities Management Groups in educating local members and leaders about the local unit copier program, helps members serve more effectively. Those with assignments that include responsibility over copiers (often the most expensive and sophisticated equipment in the materials center) can read the forum to find information to assist them in their calling. The forum explains the purchase program and many associated details — for example, Headquarters Copier Administration’s phone number, frequently asked questions, and how to obtain supplies and service.

The Goal—Eliminate Confusion and Educate Members

As more people view the copier information posted on LDS tech forum, and ask questions or provide answers, the forum will become more successful. Information and directions posted on the forum act as educational materials for Facility Managers (FM) and members in local units to reduce confusion about the copier program. By familiarizing themselves with the various questions and answers, leaders and members with copier responsibility can train themselves to obtain supplies and place service calls, and learn basic copier use.

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Headquarters Copier Administration has posted answers to frequently asked questions about the program. A sub-forum has also been provided where readers can ask questions and receive answers. LDS Tech Forum moderators and participants are competent to answer many technical questions, including those relating to copiers. Vendor representatives can also answer the most difficult questions.

Dennis Horne is the coordinator of the local unit copier program for the Church.
jeromer7

Perplexed

Post by jeromer7 »

Cassie -
I appreciate the information provided to the community by this and previously posted articles and thank you for your efforts in sharing.
However, I wonder about the poll. Most of these articles are more fact based and not really opinion pieces. Like this current article--how could anyone disagree with the information presented? It is presenting information about how the copier program has evolved along with information on current resources and a view of the intended goals.
Maybe what you are looking for is more along the lines of, "Interesting" or "Not Interesting"; "Useful Info" or "Waste of Time."
JLR
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Good feedback, thanks.
nicklewis

Copier Program Supplies

Post by nicklewis »

With resources tight, I've had to make sure we control copier expenses carefully. Using the Church's supply catalog would cost us another $200 a year in supplies. I shop locally for case-lot paper sales, and I buy most of our toner supplies online where I can get far better deals. It takes a bit more work on my part, but I save needed money for the ward's budget. It's hard for the Church to provide access to all of these choices.

On the positive side, the multifunction machine allows me to hook it up to PC in the library where we can scan and print in addition to making copies. I've downloaded several volumes of Church magazines that make easy reference for the librarians who assist teachers in their lessons. Having a scanner hooked up to the PC makes it easy to clean up documents before printing them, as well as providing nice graphics for our handouts.

Thank you for the new copier system.
johnlds1965-p40

Local Unit Copier programme

Post by johnlds1965-p40 »

Dear Dennis,

Just curious if there are any plans to roll this local unit copier programme out across Europe?

I'm based in the United Kingdom, if so, who would be instrumental in evaluating potential suppliers.

One of the largest UK Copier Resellers/Service Providers is owned by LDS, national coverage and presumably well known in LDS leadership circles here, just wondering how to get on the procurement list, if you're considering this here? :)

Many Thanks, John.
On_Target_Advocate-p40

Post by On_Target_Advocate-p40 »

We got a new copier in our building library 1-2 years ago and the toner costs have skyrocketed. Any suggestions on how to lower these costs? I think we have been looking for the best price we can find but I'm wondering why the buying power of the LDS Church can't get the best price available?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

On_Target_Advocate wrote:We got a new copier in our building library 1-2 years ago and the toner costs have skyrocketed. Any suggestions on how to lower these costs?
I think the first suggestion is to look at the usage. Has the paper costs also jumped? Is it the cost per page that jumped or only total expenditures?

Sometimes when a unit gets a newer, faster copier, the usage increases because it's now so fast and easy to get copies.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rogerhorton

Copier Availability for Wards in the UK

Post by rogerhorton »

Copiers are currently only provided for stakes in the UK. The ability to copy documents is a facility most church members have, and use very frequently in their own homes.

I recall the time when home PCs were gaining in popularity and I was a stake clerk. At that time the best available means of typing that was available even to stakes was a typewriter (I do appreciate that many of you may not have even seen one of these!). After considerable negotiation, word processors were made available to stakes only (at that time this was a piece of hardware, not part of MS Office!). Wards had to plod on with typewriters, tearing up their documents if they hit the wrong key enough times.

Whilst I recognise that budgets need to be tightly controlled as the growth of the Church marches on, it would appear to be far more sensible for wards to have the facilities that are needed and expected by our leaders and members rather than, as in our case. some provided facilities that are never used. For example, our ward library has 2 PCs, 2 laser printers and no copying facilities. The two laser printers are never used simultaneously, but we have a never-ending demand for a copier. An obvious solution would be to share one laser printer and replace the other with a copier, or just replace one laser printer with a multifunction printer that will operate as a standalone copier.

Wards now need copying facilities - in the UK as well as in the USA and Canada. It has been fairly well publicised that the number of home PCs per head of population is considerably higher in the UK than in the USA. So that would suggest that UK Church members would have a higher expectation for the Church to keep up with technology than members in the USA or Canada. And if the solution does not incur any extra expenditure, shouldn't we be doing it now?

Perhaps these thoughts could be given serious consideration when the local unit copier program is next reviewed?

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”