IT Network Infrastructure

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
BlwAvg-p40

IT Network Infrastructure

Post by BlwAvg-p40 »

I am really not currently looking for a change in my work place anytime soon. I am a LAN\WAN technician ( where that title came from I have no idea no one else in the industry uses that, I guess you can call it a (Jr.) Network Engineer position). I was just curious about the Churches setup both structurally as the IT entity and how the network infrastructure stands. I do know that a detailed layout of the infrastructure is sensitive information. I am just curious because within the church building I see an old PC with a dial up connection. So what I am really asking is what other services that the Church provides that it can claim that it has a state of the art infrastructure. Even with the websites listed on tech.lds.org I cannot imagine how big the infrastructure would need to be. I just do not see the Church building a small datacenter with a production, test, and or development environment for maintaining websites and databases. Then again I really do not know how large these operations are at all. I guess I am just curious, so anything information is useful.

For giggles I wanted to see where I would fit in with the current structure of your department. I am currently apart of the Network Services team which is a sub department of IT. I am relatively new to the corporate environment and just wondering how you guys deal with maintaining your network and how big your team is.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I believe that you might find the following thread of interest.

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2399
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

BlwAvg wrote:I am really not currently looking for a change in my work place anytime soon. I am a LAN\WAN technician ( where that title came from I have no idea no one else in the industry uses that, I guess you can call it a (Jr.) Network Engineer position). I was just curious about the Churches setup both structurally as the IT entity and how the network infrastructure stands. I do know that a detailed layout of the infrastructure is sensitive information. I am just curious because within the church building I see an old PC with a dial up connection. So what I am really asking is what other services that the Church provides that it can claim that it has a state of the art infrastructure. Even with the websites listed on tech.lds.org I cannot imagine how big the infrastructure would need to be. I just do not see the Church building a small datacenter with a production, test, and or development environment for maintaining websites and databases. Then again I really do not know how large these operations are at all. I guess I am just curious, so anything information is useful.

For giggles I wanted to see where I would fit in with the current structure of your department. I am currently apart of the Network Services team which is a sub department of IT. I am relatively new to the corporate environment and just wondering how you guys deal with maintaining your network and how big your team is.
As you can imagine, the Church as a very large and complex network infrastructure spanning many buildings and facilities and supporting many different types of hardware, operating systems, etc. For sensitivity reasons, we are not allowed to give exact numbers but basically within the ICS department (which is where most of the tech people reside) we have different groups, such as Networking & Hardware, Program management, Development, etc. Each main group has many sub-groups or teams that specialize in different areas.

Tom
BlwAvg-p40

Post by BlwAvg-p40 »

tomw wrote:As you can imagine, the Church as a very large and complex network infrastructure spanning many buildings and facilities and supporting many different types of hardware, operating systems, etc. For sensitivity reasons, we are not allowed to give exact numbers but basically within the ICS department (which is where most of the tech people reside) we have different groups, such as Networking & Hardware, Program management, Development, etc. Each main group has many sub-groups or teams that specialize in different areas.

Tom
I would enjoy giving a more thorough response to this thread, but will refrain. I guess it was a rather loaded/novice question to ask as an outsider. I should be grateful for a response at all. I hope none here mind my new found hobby if participating within this forum.
johnshaw

IT Maturity

Post by johnshaw »

BlwAvg,

As you seem to be new in the IT infrastructure world, I would suggest reading and becoming familiar with the Security realms around your particular aspect of IT. There are multiple reasons why the answers to your questions are vague. If you asked me about my IT Infrastructure I would give you a similar response.
jules3c-p40

volunteer

Post by jules3c-p40 »

hello my name is jules and i'm new at this side.
my question is how can i volunteer to the lds church for a technical position in the it field?where would i begin?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jules3c wrote:hello my name is jules and i'm new at this side.
my question is how can i volunteer to the lds church for a technical position in the it field?where would i begin?

Jules,

In response to your question about volunteering, I would refer you to the LDS Wiki at;

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
jules3c-p40

volunteer

Post by jules3c-p40 »

thank you for the referal to lds wiki.
morph-p40

Post by morph-p40 »

I was actually logging in to ask a similar question. I worked in one of the temples in the UK for a short time in voluntary service and while I didn't have much access to the computers on the site, I gathered the network there was connected via VPN link to either just the church offices in solihull (I think they have moved to Germany now) or the other possibility is that all major church buildings are connected via VPN links to each other.

I am also very new to IT as a career, I currently work as a network technician for a college here in England. I have been curious about the churches IT infrastructure for a few years, but never managed to find anyone who works for church IT support to query them.

I think it would be very interesting if many church buildings across the world are linked via VPN, which is what I believe to be the case.

How does the church manage their networks worldwide with regards to repairs? With the amount of support requests I get daily at work, I can't imagine having a network running with as many computers as they do in a lot of temples etc. without on-site IT support, but that is exactly what happens from what I can see. At the temple I volunteered at, they did have an engineer who had the responsibility of the computers, but that was more of a side job which he was landed with, he didn't really have the resources or knowledge to fix anything more than the basic problems.

it'd be interesting to work out how I could volunteer in an IT capacity in England. I know there used to be an IT department in our Solihill offices, but since they have moved to Germany I have no idea who is in charge of IT support for England.

Thanks!

Return to “Technical Recruiting”