Resource Question

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dotson98

Resource Question

Post by dotson98 »

Hello:

I am on my third stint as a web-site administrator. Not much has changed since they launched.

I have a new issue with resources. And if my assumptions are correct, EVERYONE is going to have a problem with resources.

For example, if someone in my ward wants to schedule the gym for Tuesday night, they can. But what about the other ward in our building? Shouldn't there be ONE location for resources? As it currently stands, there is one person that handles scheduling for both wards. I would imagine that is the case across the church.

Am I doing something wrong?

Dan
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dotson wrote:I am on my third stint as a web-site administrator. Not much has changed since they launched.

I have a new issue with resources. And if my assumptions are correct, EVERYONE is going to have a problem with resources.

For example, if someone in my ward wants to schedule the gym for Tuesday night, they can. But what about the other ward in our building? Shouldn't there be ONE location for resources? As it currently stands, there is one person that handles scheduling for both wards. I would imagine that is the case across the church.
If you want a single resource to be shared by more than one ward, it can't be a ward resource. Rather, you need to have the stake web site administrator set up a stake resource, and assign it to both wards. By making this assignment, those two wards will see the resource from their ward pages, but the other wards in the stake won't see it on theirs. Then the stake web site administrator sets up your scheduler as an administrator for that stake resource.

With this setup, any member of either ward can submit schedule requests, and the resource administrator can approve (or reject) those requests. As far as the members can tell, it looks just like any other ward resource, but there is just one resource calendar for the building, shared by the two wards. Other members of the stake can submit requests as well, but they would have to access the resource from the stake's web page.

Does that meet your needs?
claurence-p40

Agent Bishop Admin Privilege Needed

Post by claurence-p40 »

Greetings.

I feel that the control of admin rights should follow the callings. One bishop is assigned by the stake presidency to be the agent bishop for the building. He calls a ward building scheduler. In my ward, that is me. I schedule the building for three wards.

The building is a stake resource, but the Agent Bishop currently does not have authority to schedule that resource without first passing through the stake administrator.

There should be a setting for the stake admin to create an Agent Bishop admin privilege. He would have authority to use the resource schedule for the building for which he is agent. The Agent Bishop admin, once granted, should then be allowed to give admin privilege to at least one other person -- the building scheduler -- and perhaps more people to assign out at his discretion.

On my gmail calendar, I have a "Where" (Location) line for text, which would be handy also. I put the part of the building reserved. Ultimately, a map of the building where the requester can click on rooms requested would be ideal, but not necessary at this time.

I also write down the name and phone number of the requester. There should be a section that is private for this purpose, so that only the building scheduler and the bishop (those with admin privileges) can see this, as it may or may not be public information.

While the resource is a stake resource, the authority for that resource has been delegated to the Agent Bishop. He needs admin privileges to manage that resource without making requests to the stake admin. The Agent Bishop needs the authority to delegate to his building scheduler, by giving him admin privileges for that resource as well.

Our workaround has been that I use my google calendar the way my predecessor used a paper calendar. This has not been good enough, so now we are starting to use the ward calendar as our building calendar as well, so that the information is available to more of the members that need that information. Our ideal scenario would be to use the resource calendar without passing through the stake admin.

Thanks for listening.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

claurence wrote:I feel that the control of admin rights should follow the callings. One bishop is assigned by the stake presidency to be the agent bishop for the building. He calls a ward building scheduler. In my ward, that is me. I schedule the building for three wards.

The building is a stake resource, but the Agent Bishop currently does not have authority to schedule that resource without first passing through the stake administrator.

The good news is that the LUWS resource scheduling already works as you suggest it should. There is no requirement that resource scheduling go through a stake administrator. The stake resource that is shared among multiple wards does have to be set up by a stake administrator, but once it is set up, there can be any number of resource administrators assisgned to that resource. So in your case, the stake administrator could designate the Agent Bishop or you, or both as the resource scheduler, and you'd be able to do everything you need to do.

Those resource administrators can have full control over the scheduling of the resource -- adding, deleting or changing resource events, and approving or rejecting schedule requests. Such resource administrators don't have to have full stake administrative rights in order to administer the stake resource.

We have a building in our stake shared by three wards that is being scheduled this way. There are two resource schedulers in the agent ward. They handle all the scheduling. I am the stake site administrator, and I set up the resource and since then I haven't done a thing, and the process works very smoothly.
claurence-p40

Post by claurence-p40 »

I'll need to talk to the stake administrator then. I do think that the bishop should be able to give out permission from a ward level, when he is the Agent Bishop. Something like an Agent Bishop add-on to the ward account. It seems like the conversation with the stake admin is one I should not be having, due to the nature of our calls. I'm not sure of the reason I was not given such permission when I asked for it -- I wonder how well the resource system is understood.

Thanks

Edit: Wow, I had admin rights months ago. The stake admin set it up correctly, but I tried inputting via the regular resource page like a layman, rather than via the admin page. I don't know what to say. A training problem? Sheepishly going to enter the info now. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

claurence wrote:I'll need to talk to the stake administrator then. I do think that the bishop should be able to give out permission from a ward level, when he is the Agent Bishop. Something like an Agent Bishop add-on to the ward account. It seems like the conversation with the stake admin is one I should not be having, due to the nature of our calls. I'm not sure of the reason I was not given such permission when I asked for it -- I wonder how well the resource system is understood.

Different stakes will choose to administer such resources in different ways, but just for illustration, let me share how our stake does it.

It is well known which ward is the agent ward for a particular building for a given year, since that responsibility rotates each year on a fixed schedule. The agent bishop is in charge of designating a building scheduler. The stake presidency instructs me (the stake web site administrator) to help the agent bishop by giving whomever he designates the administrative privileges needed to do the scheduling. So whenever I get a request from that bishop, I respond to it under the direction already given to me by the stake presidency.

Also, I would note that one building in our stake still schedules the old fashioned way -- by phone, with the records kept on paper. That building's scheduler receives requests and schedules the building without any further authorization required from any stake leaders. We follow that same model when using the web site resource scheduling.

But if a stake president chooses a model that sacrifices some efficiency in favor of closer oversight, that's certainly within his authority.
claurence-p40

Post by claurence-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:But if a stake president chooses a model that sacrifices some efficiency in favor of closer oversight, that's certainly within his authority.

Thanks for the illustration. We've had some discussion of what is appropriate to put up on a public forum, even though it simply includes members of our stake, so I can definitely understand caution.

As I noted in my edit, I actually didn't understand the system, and had the admin authority months ago. Maybe it's time to run some video tutorials in ward correlation. ;)
bretharrison-p40

Post by bretharrison-p40 »

Hello,

Thank you for the valuable information in this thread. We have three wards meeting in our building, but one of the wards belongs to a different stake. If we add a stake resource for the wards to use to schedule the building, can the ward from the other stake be set up to view and submit requests to schedule as well?

Thanks.

Bret
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bretharrison wrote:We have three wards meeting in our building, but one of the wards belongs to a different stake. If we add a stake resource for the wards to use to schedule the building, can the ward from the other stake be set up to view and submit requests to schedule as well?
Currently a Resource can not cross a stake boundary. So the two wards in the same stake is no problem.

The best could be done for the third stake is to add selected leader(s) as a non-resident member to the first stake. That will allow them to view and request, and maybe even help admin the resource. However, the membership at large of the 3rd ward will not be able to view it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ericvic10-p40

Post by ericvic10-p40 »

:)Hi I am a new clerk in a two wards to the meeting house.

question 1 where is the entry to which you are referring in MLS

We so far have had no problems with our agent EXe Sec handling all booking manually. It does need a phone call

Thanks from Auzzie

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”