Stake LUWS map links don't work

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Stake LUWS map links don't work

Post by aebrown »

In LUWS, each home page has the address of the meetinghouse for that unit. Directly below the address are links for "Map" and "Driving Directions". These links go to maps.lds.org, and they work great for wards -- the unit ID is passed on the URL for maps.lds.org, so the correct meetinghouse is located.

However, on the stake LUWS home page, these map and driving direction links also are available, but they don't work properly. They go to maps.lds.org, but no unit ID is passed on the command line, and so the maps.lds.org page is displayed with a blank address and the whole world displayed in the map panel -- the same as if you simply go straight to maps.lds.org.

It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to make the map links go to the stake center. This may require changes to both LUWS and maps.lds.org. But if they can't be made to work properly, I would think it is better to just remove the links from the stake LUWS home page.
dmaynes

Perhaps stake centers are not registered?

Post by dmaynes »

Alan_Brown wrote:However, on the stake LUWS home page, these map and driving direction links also are available, but they don't work properly. They go to maps.lds.org, but no unit ID is passed on the command line, and so the maps.lds.org page is displayed with a blank address and the whole world displayed in the map panel -- the same as if you simply go straight to maps.lds.org.
The http: request sent when you ask for a map is of the format: http://maps.lds.org/?unitId=###### where ###### is the unit number. This works for the wards, but if you enter this URL directly using the stake unit number (found in the page address of the stake's website as follows: https://secure.lds.org/units/home/0,978 ... %%,00.html, where %%%%%% is the stake unit number) the main maps.lds.org webpage is displayed.

I do not believe that stake centers are locatable using the maps service. At least, I haven't seen any location identified as a stake center.

Thanks,
Dennis
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dmaynes wrote:This works for the wards, but if you enter this URL directly using the stake unit number [...] the main maps.lds.org webpage is displayed.
I can confirm the same results. However, I noticed that when I hover over the "maps" link on the Stake Home page, the javascript is passing the street address, not the unit number. But still maps doesn't seem to be able to find it. For some reason the attempt to pass the street address is failing.

However, they have fixed the situation where the map wouldn't work if a unit was in a Institute of Religion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”