Error in troubleshooting article

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
danpass

Error in troubleshooting article

Post by danpass »

As previously noted by Alan Brown, the troubleshooting article Lost or corrupted user name list in MLS (Ref #:11454) contains an error.
  1. Open My Computer by right-clicking Start and then left-clicking Explore and then My Computer.
  2. Go to C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\Units.
  3. Open the Unit Number folder, and note the dates and time stamps of the sub-folders.
  4. Under the mlsData folder, open the most recent mlsData-backup folder.
  5. Right-click the data.properties file at the top, and copy that file.
  6. Back out of the mlsData-backup folder, and return to the Unit Number folder.
  7. Open the mlsData folder and paste the data.properties file into that folder. When a pop-up appears asking if you want to replace the file, click YES.
  8. Log in to MLS and sign in
Step 4 indicates that the mlsData-backup folders are "Under the mlsData folder", which I think most people would interpret to mean that the mlsData-backup folders are sub-folders of the mlsData folder. Actually the backup folders are at the same level as the mlsData folder.

Last Saturday I got a call from one of our bishops, reporting that the MLS user accounts were gone. I pulled up the troubleshooting article and attempted to walk him through it over the phone. If I had been at his computer, this error would have been inconsequential. But because I was depending on the user to relay what he was seeing and my assumption that the article was correct, we ended up spending a lot more time then we should have to resolve the problem.

I suggest that step 4 be revised to read:

4. Open the most recent mlsData-backup folder.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danpass wrote:As previously noted by Alan Brown, the troubleshooting article Lost or corrupted user name list in MLS (Ref #:11454) contains an error.

Step 4 indicates that the mlsData-backup folders are "Under the mlsData folder", which I think most people would interpret to mean that the mlsData-backup folders are sub-folders of the mlsData folder. Actually the backup folders are at the same level as the mlsData folder.

I suggest that step 4 be revised to read:

4. Open the most recent mlsData-backup folder.
Several months ago I did indeed send that exact suggestion to clerk.lds.org using the Feedback mechanism of that site. On 13 October 2008, I received the following reply from an "sts-feedback" e-mail address:
Thank you for the input. We will make the changes needed.
That was over three months ago, but clearly the article has not been changed. It sounds like someone dropped the ball. I have once again sent this suggestion; I'll report back on any response I get or changes I see.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote: I have once again sent this suggestion; I'll report back on any response I get or changes I see.
Well, I did get a quick response to my feedback suggestion:
Dear Brother,
We are working to have the issue resolved. Thank you for your concern.
So at least the issue is on someone's radar. I guess we'll just need to be patient at this point.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Has anyone tried this procedure? This is a whole lot better than reverting back one or two backups and having to reenter a deposit batch and other data.

I should stay more current on this stuff. Missed this one.
danpass

Post by danpass »

lajackson wrote:Has anyone tried this procedure? This is a whole lot better than reverting back one or two backups and having to reenter a deposit batch and other data.
Once we sorted step 4 out, the procedure worked perfectly. I agree. This is a much better than restoring a whole backup.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”