MormonsMadeSimple.com

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
douglas.a.hatch-p40

MormonsMadeSimple.com

Post by douglas.a.hatch-p40 »

Hi all,
I just built a website called MormonsMadeSimple.com which I'll be using to showcase simple, explanatory videos on Mormon beliefs. I've produced 1 video and have plans to produce more soon. I'd love to get some feedback on any of the following:

1. Functionality or design of the website.
2. What you think of the video format/genre (will this be effective?)
3. General thoughts or suggestions

Thanks!
- Doug
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A couple of comments:

- No mention is made of wards that use a Sacrament last schedule. (You may want to explain what First Meeting and Sacrament Meeting times mean.)

- While you can sit anywhere, you might want to suggest avoiding the front row just to insure they don't sit where the PH sit for passing the sacrament. Not a big issue, but then I see the target audience is the ones trying to avoid any issues.

- You mention Gospel Doctrine class, but the target audience should be attending Gospel Essentials.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Doug,

VERY NICE! I love the "very tasteful" video. Great artwork, too. A lot of work was put into this!

Brad
douglas.a.hatch-p40

Thanks for the feedback

I'll be releasing another video on the book of mormon within the week. I hope to eventually produce a dozen or so of these type videos. Each takes about 25 hours.

Any other comments about the direction I'm taking with this site are appreciated (e.g. pitfalls, suggestions, advice).

Thanks!
- Doug
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:...

- While you can sit anywhere, you might want to suggest avoiding the front row just to insure they don't sit where the PH sit for passing the sacrament. Not a big issue, but then I see the target audience is the ones trying to avoid any issues.

In some wards, the deacons use the first two rows of the side section closest to the sacrament table.

At one time, my parents said their ward had assigned seating for sacrament meeting, but I'm not sure they were serious. There might be a few wards that might have assigned seating. Then, in many wards, some families ALWAYS sit in the same location on the same bench, and a visitor taking their seats might get some unfriendly glances. Then again, I don't know how much those possibilities should be mentioned.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:Then, in many wards, some families ALWAYS sit in the same location on the same bench, and a visitor taking their seats might get some unfriendly glances. Then again, I don't know how much those possibilities should be mentioned.
More to the point, I don't know what to suggest to deal with that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:- You mention Gospel Doctrine class, but the target audience should be attending Gospel Essentials.
Gospel Essentials doesn't exist any more. I'm sure you meant the Gospel Principles or Gospel Fundamentals class. Old labels don't die easily.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:
rmrichesjr wrote:Then, in many wards, some families ALWAYS sit in the same location on the same bench, and a visitor taking their seats might get some unfriendly glances. Then again, I don't know how much those possibilities should be mentioned.
More to the point, I don't know what to suggest to deal with that.
I would hope to think this only happens in the rarest of occasions and wouldn't be needed to be mentioned at all on a website like Doug's. If we can't be tolerant, and dare I suggest, even go out of our way to be friendly to visitors, no matter where they sit, then we have some serious problems as a membership.

I would be a little more concerned with Fast Sunday and some of the (ahem) "testimonies" they might encounter. :o
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Mikerowaved wrote:I would hope to think this only happens in the rarest of occasions and wouldn't be needed to be mentioned at all on a website like Doug's. If we can't be tolerant, and dare I suggest, even go out of our way to be friendly to visitors, no matter where they sit, then we have some serious problems as a membership.

I would be a little more concerned with Fast Sunday and some of the (ahem) "testimonies" they might encounter. :o

hahahaha "Excuse me, sir.... I believe you are sitting in my favorite seat."
douglas.a.hatch-p40

To keep things simple, I didn't mention any corner cases, like where the deacons sit to pass the sacrament, etc. Don't want to scare people with too many uncertainties.

Return to “General Discussions”