Password Lockout on v5.5

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
MTHESS-p40

Password Lockout on v5.5

Post by MTHESS-p40 »

Hello, nice forum. I did not know this existed.
I have a problem with Local Units Desktop v. 5.5, we are locked out of our PC. Apparently our bishop tried to log in but failed to type in the correct password a number of times and now we are locked out. He tried my admin account password as well, to no avail. The response I got from church support was to turn off the PC and wit 15min and then the password would re-set. This does not work.
It comes up with 'CLERK' as the username but 'xxxxxxxxxx' won't work anymore.
Any ideas ? Tech support in SLC doesn't seem to know the answer yet.
Thanks, Bro. Mike Hess
mthess60@earthlink.net
If anyone does hav a solution for this please feel free to call me at 208-794-6814
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

MTHESS wrote:Hello, nice forum. I did not know this existed.
I have a problem with Local Units Desktop v. 5.5, we are locked out of our PC. Apparently our bishop tried to log in but failed to type in the correct password a number of times and now we are locked out. He tried my admin account password as well, to no avail. The response I got from church support was to turn off the PC and wit 15min and then the password would re-set. This does not work.

I have to admit that personally this password lockout bit is an issue. We've had it happen at least 3 times now from various people. I took a look at changing the policy but the church has locked most of that type of stuff down in the image. The grumbling from some of my priesthood leaders over the problem hasn't been pleasant. I think the contents of the previous post help to represent the security of obscurity. I'd crack the system and fix the issue on our end, but I'm fairly certain that CHQ wouldn't approve so I've left it alone for the moment.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that someone may have taken upon themselves to change the password even though the write-up from SLC said not to.

The lockout is only for 15 minutes, so that's not a big issue. The major issue is what is your new password and who the heck changed it.

If the installer created a new account for the stake, then the stake may be able to log in and force the password for the clerks account back to the default.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

If worse comes to worse, of course, one could always use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It works well. Of course, it is not Church approved.http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
Thanks,

Michael H. Cox
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

The church recently sent the stake clerks and/or stake web admins to all of the wards in our stake to reimage the hard drives and to set up a password on them all as well. They told me that it was something being done church-wide.

Your ward clerk should have this password, as I am the clerk for my ward and I am the only one that the password was given to (though I was instructed to share it with everyone that would need to get into it). [EDIT: He mentioned when he set it up that the passwords were going to be the same on all of the computers, so I could probably tell you what the password is, but I'm not sure if he was talking all of the computers in our stake or all of the computers in the church as a whole.]

If your ward clerk doesn't know it, then contact the stake clerk or the stake web admin and they should be able to tell it to you.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

JasonG wrote:The church recently sent the stake clerks and/or stake web admins to all of the wards in our stake to reimage the hard drives and to set up a password on them all as well. They told me that it was something being done church-wide.

Your ward clerk should have this password, as I am the clerk for my ward and I am the only one that the password was given to (though I was instructed to share it with everyone that would need to get into it). [EDIT: He mentioned when he set it up that the passwords were going to be the same on all of the computers, so I could probably tell you what the password is, but I'm not sure if he was talking all of the computers in our stake or all of the computers in the church as a whole.]

If your ward clerk doesn't know it, then contact the stake clerk or the stake web admin and they should be able to tell it to you.
And never ever post passwords or hacks to get around security on this or any other public forum. Otherwise, why have passwords?

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

michaelcox wrote:If worse comes to worse, of course, one could always use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It works well. Of course, it is not Church approved.
Please do not hack the computer without Church Headquarters direct permission.

Tom

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”