Ward Building Resources

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
kmalone-p40

Ward Building Resources

Post by kmalone-p40 »

How do most of you handle a ward building calendar integrated into LUWS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kmalone wrote:How do most of you handle a ward building calendar integrated into LUWS?

Could you be more specific?

We use the resource feature of LUWS. When more than one ward shares the building, it is a stake resource assigned to those wards. It's pretty straightforward, although some people understandably wish that the regular calendar were integrated with the resource calendar.

But you'll need to give more details as to what you're looking for, and then I could give some more ideas.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:But you'll need to give more details as to what you're looking for, and then I could give some more ideas.
Haven't there been other threads on this topic already? Perhaps we could provide some links to those threads instead?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Haven't there been other threads on this topic already? Perhaps we could provide some links to those threads instead?
Here are some threads:

LDS Building Scheduling Software:This thread started on a somewhat different topic, but the bulk of it ended up discussing LUWS resource scheduling.

Tips & Tricks for Ward / Stake Websites: This covers other topics as well, but several posts are related to ward resource scheduling.

Shared Resources: A couple of useful thoughts.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

thanks for sharing this info.

However...read below...:confused:
Alan_Brown wrote:Here are some threads:

LDS Building Scheduling Software:This thread started on a somewhat different topic, but the bulk of it ended up discussing LUWS resource scheduling.

Tips & Tricks for Ward / Stake Websites: This covers other topics as well, but several posts are related to ward resource scheduling.

Shared Resources: A couple of useful thoughts.

The 2nd counselor in the bishopric and I were discussing this yesterday as we were updating the ward calendar on the ward website. I have to agree with something that he stated...it would be nice if we could see what's already been scheduled in a calendar format so we're not just seeing the resource list. Because our stake tends to use our building (although it's not the stake center, but more to the center of the stake) and it would be just nice to be able to see it in one whole calendar so we're not overlapping any activities.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:The 2nd counselor in the bishopric and I were discussing this yesterday as we were updating the ward calendar on the ward website. I have to agree with something that he stated...it would be nice if we could see what's already been scheduled in a calendar format so we're not just seeing the resource list. Because our stake tends to use our building (although it's not the stake center, but more to the center of the stake) and it would be just nice to be able to see it in one whole calendar so we're not overlapping any activities.
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. It would help if you could clarify:
  • When you say that you want to "see what's already been scheduled in a calendar format," are you saying you want to see the stake's event calendar overlaid on your ward's resource calendar?
  • Is your building's schedule set up as a ward resource, or as a stake resource?
  • Does the stake make official resource schedule requests for your building resource, or do they assume that putting an event on their event calendar will reserve the building?
Although I certainly agree that it would be nice to have the event calendar integrated with the resource (building) calendar so that you don't have to schedule things twice, it does seem that if everyone properly uses the one resource calendar, you won't have any overlapping resource requests.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Instead of putting all of the activities on the resource calendar, we have our ward building coordinators use the resource calendar to mark of (or make claim to) blocks of time for their respective wards. So when an auxiliary wants to schedule the building, they contact the ward building coordinator and he makes an entry in the calendar for that time. If the requested time is already claimed, he reports back that the building is unavailable at that time. Thus, the resource calendar becomes an administrative calendar.

The ward calendar, then, is the one the auxiliaries use to make announcements about activities, added details, etc. It is focused more toward the membership than the resource calendar, which is directed toward leadership.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

Alan_Brown wrote:
Although I certainly agree that it would be nice to have the event calendar integrated with the resource (building) calendar so that you don't have to schedule things twice, it does seem that if everyone properly uses the one resource calendar, you won't have any overlapping resource requests.

The last part in your quote, is what we're looking for. Because although, I am the ward technologist (asst ward clerk of technology), my responsibilities, lie in making sure the LUWS is updated regularly and I have to approve all the calendar requests, which also has to be checked with the resource calendar...and it's a bit tedious having to go from one page to the next to make sure that certain events are not overlapping.

I hope this clarifies a little bit more. If not, I am sorry...

Thanks,
Jamie

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”