IPHone Connection

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
harddrive

IPHone Connection

Post by harddrive »

I have a bishop that was just called this week. He has an iphone that he uses. We attempted tonight to get him connected using LDSAcess, but he put the passcode in and it wouldn't connect. Has anyone got this to work?

I looked on-line and discovered that the iphone may be defaulting to WEP security instead of WPA.

If you got it working, please let me know.

Thank
Terry
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harddrive747 wrote:I have a bishop that was just called this week. He has an iphone that he uses. We attempted tonight to get him connected using LDSAcess, but he put the passcode in and it wouldn't connect. Has anyone got this to work?

I looked on-line and discovered that the iphone may be defaulting to WEP security instead of WPA.

If you got it working, please let me know.

Thank
Terry

At least two members of my stake have connected their iPhones to our stake center's wireless Internet connection using LDSAccess. I can't provide any helpful details, but at least I can confirm that it can be done. I don't think they did anything special -- one of them in particular is not all that tech savvy, and so I doubt that he would have been able to change security modes. I was in the room when he connected, and I'm pretty sure he did nothing but enter the passcode.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you take a look at THIS Apple support forum, you'll see this is not an uncommon theme with the iPhone. I'm not an iPhone owner, so I can't give you any more help than this.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Curious. I can't see a way to change those settings on the iPhone after the initial connection is setup.

I would try deleting the LDSAccess network from the iPhone and then re-installing it. There might be some trial and error in getting the settings right, such as setting proxies to off, manual, or auto.

I just tried this at home. You do this by tapping the tab labeled "Forget this Network." You can then "Choose" that network again and it will ask for the password. I purposely entered a wrong password to see what would happen, and it took a while, but the iPhone eventually requested the password again when I asked it to reconnect to that Wi-Fi network, but it did not display any error message that the original password was incorrect. Apparently selecting WEP or WPA is automatic. That is, the router broadcasts what type of security is required to connect, thus the iPhone does not usually present that option.

I suspect that the password may have been mis-typed, or that you need to try some different proxy settings.

I would also try connecting a laptop wirelessly to the LDSAccess network to see not only if it can be done, but also see what settings work (i.e. WEP vs. WPA; proxies off, auto, etc.). Then you at least have a template for how to program the iPhone for that particular network.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:...Apparently selecting WEP or WPA is automatic. That is, the router broadcast what type of security is required to connect, thus the iPhone does not usually present that option.
Also, there may be a way to manually enter in the SSID, passphrase, and Encryption Type. I thought I remembered there being a way to select the Encryption Type, but not if you were auto-connecting to a network.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote:I thought I remembered there being a way to select the Encryption Type, but not if you were auto-connecting to a network.
Tap the settings icon.
Tap Wi-Fi.
Tap Other...
Enter the name of the network.
Tap Security.
Tap None, WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Enterprise, or WPA2 Enterprise.

But I haven't seen the iPhone present these options when it can already "see" the target Wi-Fi network.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”