Confusion when the registration process is finished

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Confusion when the registration process is finished

Post by dmaynes »

I have had at least two members get confused with the website registration process.

After they finish all the screens for obtaining an account there is a button to click that states: "Click here to finish registering." The user clicks that area and then the LUWS login screen is displayed. The user thinks that the registration is complete.

The registration is not complete. The user must sign into the website, accept the agreement and set the e-mail address and notification options. The registration is only complete when these final steps are finished.

It would be a lot better if the acceptance screen and e-mail address and notification options were presented to the user without requiring them to sign into the website.

Thanks,
Dennis
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dmaynes wrote:The registration is not complete. The user must sign into the website, accept the agreement and set the e-mail address and notification options. The registration is only complete when these final steps are finished.
It was for me. I was never required to do any of these things. I logged into the site and used it for some time before I was even aware that there was a place to set an e-mail address. I read about that option on an e-mail list I frequented at the time.

I would assume that this has since been fixed. I certainly hope so. But no, I never was asked to do any of those things when I signed on a couple of years ago.

And, just for the record, when I became an Admin, I never was required to take the quiz, either. I had to go back in and find that on my own, as well.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

lajackson wrote:It was for me. I was never required to do any of these things. I logged into the site and used it for some time before I was even aware that there was a place to set an e-mail address. I read about that option on an e-mail list I frequented at the time.

I would assume that this has since been fixed. I certainly hope so. But no, I never was asked to do any of those things when I signed on a couple of years ago.

And, just for the record, when I became an Admin, I never was required to take the quiz, either. I had to go back in and find that on my own, as well.
How long ago was it that you registered for LUWS? You currently cannot finish registering until you login, accept the site terms, and then set your e-mail address and preferences. I assume things have changed since you registered.

I registered for the website and a few weeks later became an Admin. At that time I had to take the quiz.

Thanks,
Dennis
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dmaynes wrote:How long ago was it that you registered for LUWS? You currently cannot finish registering until you login, accept the site terms, and then set your e-mail address and preferences. I assume things have changed since you registered.

I registered for the website and a few weeks later became an Admin. At that time I had to take the quiz.

Thanks,
Dennis
I just helped someone register today and the current process is exactly as dmaynes describes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dmaynes wrote:I registered for the website and a few weeks later became an Admin. At that time I had to take the quiz.
That's what I experienced and I got on toward the end of the beta period.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dmaynes wrote:How long ago was it that you registered for LUWS? You currently cannot finish registering until you login, accept the site terms, and then set your e-mail address and preferences. I assume things have changed since you registered.

It was at least four years ago. I think we finally decided it was because I was using Netscape. CHQ had programmed the site for IE, and NS did not pick up any of the cues that CHQ thought should be required.

So, I was not required to do any of the required things. (Being a good boy, I went back and did them anyway.) Since then, of course, NS is not supported. It didn't even work at the LUWS, last time I tried several years ago. I am using FF now.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”