Personal Audio Devices

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
McDanielCA

Personal Audio Devices

Post by McDanielCA »

Is anybody familiar with the personal audio devices that available in units for those that are hearing impaired? I would like to know which frequency they transmit on, or if it is a setting. I do not have one in front of me so I might need some detailed instructions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It around 72MHz wide-band FM. It is a "setting" in that different units can have different channels if they are close together, but mostly they use just one common channel.

Sorry, I don't have the details in front of me.

Edit: Note that the church has used two different suppliers. Comtek and Williams Sound.

In our case the Comtek was installed in the chapel and Williams was provided later for language translation. I don't know if the church changed suppliers or not. Both operate on the same frequencies, but I'm not sure as the are interoperable.

The last time I called Comtek, the engineer knew off the top of his head the common LDS frequency.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

To be more specific, they can be on 20KHz "channels" from 72.02 to 72.98 MHz and also from 75.42 to 75.98 MHz. There are a few channels in there skipped, but all in all there are 68 frequencies they can legally be on. Like Russell said, I'm sure they have chosen a few common ones to use in the buildings throughout the church, but I just don't know which ones.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Taking a look at the manual, I'd start with 72.1 MHz.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Thanks everybody!
blainesdennis-p40

Thanks for the Information

Post by blainesdennis-p40 »

I appreciate it. I thought that maybe I could find it scanning with my Ham Radio. I just wondered about listening to my sacrament meeting when I was traveling - via listening on the ham radio and then having an audio chat with my computer at home. I promise I will still go to church and not use the information to lay in bed and listen to sacreament meeting jk
Blaine
jbh001

Assistive Listening Devices

Post by jbh001 »

I meant to post this earlier, but the title of this thread is a bit misleading. I thought it would be about mp3 players or something. That is because I have always seen these listed (at various meetinghouses) as Assistive Listening devices, not Personal Audio devices.

I wouldn't have bothered with posting except that someone searching the fourms might not discover this thread without those keywords present somewhere within it.

Any other nits I can pick? :D
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

blainesdennis wrote:I appreciate it. I thought that maybe I could find it scanning with my Ham Radio. I just wondered about listening to my sacrament meeting when I was traveling - via listening on the ham radio and then having an audio chat with my computer at home. I promise I will still go to church and not use the information to lay in bed and listen to sacreament meeting jk
Blaine

Most systems only transmit with enough power to cover the building so unless you live right next to the church you wouldn't be able to get the signal.
- David
BigMG-p40

Broadcasting other than in chapel

Post by BigMG-p40 »

We have several HP's who use this type of receiver for their hearing aids. I don't know the exact frequency, but could get it.

My question is: How difficult would it be to find a transmitter that we could use in the HP room, since these men cannot hear a thing outside the chapel?

They are very frustrated because we cannot meet in the chapel and even with regular hearing aids they still cannot pick up most of the lesson.

At a loss trying to find accommodations for this. Sounds trite to most, but they're getting rebellious :eek:

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”