List of iPhone app developers on forum

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
mozmac-p40

List of iPhone app developers on forum

Post by mozmac-p40 »

Sending a call out to the other iPhone app developers on this forum. I submitted my first app to the store on Saturday and have a laundry list of other apps I'll be making. Just want to get in contact with others in case we want to get together on some future projects.

My app is called Scripture Challenge and lets you create reading charts for scriptures. For example, challenge yourself to read the Book of Mormon in 90 days.

If you are out there, respond to this thread. Let's start talking.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The Church may have need of iPhone app developers for a projects that we are waiting on approval. This could be an exciting area!

Tom
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

tomw wrote:The Church may have need of iPhone app developers for a projects that we are waiting on approval. This could be an exciting area!

Whatever the project is, I hope the Android platform is included, too.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:Whatever the project is, I hope the Android platform is included, too.
Android's got to make an impression on the market first. :)

I'm only joking, but in all seriousness that is a lot of work to write an app for one platform and then to rewrite the app in a completely different programming language and architecture for a different platform. It would almost have to be a completely separate project, in my opinion.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:Android's got to make an impression on the market first. :)

I'm only joking, but in all seriousness that is a lot of work to write an app for one platform and then to rewrite the app in a completely different programming language and architecture for a different platform. It would almost have to be a completely separate project, in my opinion.

I agree that Android has to succeed in the marketplace. I did vote with my own wallet and signed up for a T-Mobile contract this week on the new G1. I looked at iPhone first -- liked the device, not the closed environment. I think even Apple-blessed developers will be limited in what is possible there.

If I were a young Java jock, I would try to develop something for the Android. I have even thought of trying to build a general-MLS-helper-integrated-mapper app myself, but the base learning curve is daunting for me because I lack the Java experience. The platform itself has wide-open potential.

But then, I could have picked the wrong horse. I bought an Osborne 1 with a four-digit serial number in 1981, a few months before IBM released its PC.;)
Josiah-p40

Appible

Post by Josiah-p40 »

Just started an iPhone app studio. We've got a couple apps coming out in the next few weeks - though not LDS related.

Very interested in LDS projects. We've got some ideas, but would love to hear from others and contribute however we can.
tomj
Community Moderators

Exciting

Post by tomj »

I counted yesterday 5 guys in my elders quorum that had iphones or ipod touch devices. I think it's exciting to witness this transition from paper to digital. I've downloaded several different scriptures apps, and they keep updating them, and they are getting better and better.

It's exciting to hear that the church is looking into app development for some of these platforms.

Just a note, I have not developed for iPhone, but I did watch an hour presentation when they first started doing apps for that platform, and I was amazed at the tools they had, and the ease at which they were able to create an app. Likewise from what I've heard, it's not too difficult to develop for the android platform as well.

Tom, can you comment on what the Church might develop or the direction they are heading with this?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'll be announcing more details after the first of the year. Stay tuned!

Tom
Tomj wrote:I counted yesterday 5 guys in my elders quorum that had iphones or ipod touch devices. I think it's exciting to witness this transition from paper to digital. I've downloaded several different scriptures apps, and they keep updating them, and they are getting better and better.

It's exciting to hear that the church is looking into app development for some of these platforms.

Just a note, I have not developed for iPhone, but I did watch an hour presentation when they first started doing apps for that platform, and I was amazed at the tools they had, and the ease at which they were able to create an app. Likewise from what I've heard, it's not too difficult to develop for the android platform as well.

Tom, can you comment on what the Church might develop or the direction they are heading with this?
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

THE Iphone SDK is only available for MAC OS correct? and if so do you know of any MAC emulators for windows so a windows user can work with the SDK? Thanks
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

Enigma1 wrote:THE Iphone SDK is only available for MAC OS correct? and if so do you know of any MAC emulators for windows so a windows user can work with the SDK? Thanks

OSX will run on a standard Intel PC, which I am doing for testing.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”