Times wrong after ical import

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jgmaceachern-p40

Times wrong after ical import

Post by jgmaceachern-p40 »

Hey folks,

I'm trying to import the church calendar into my google calendar. It imports alright, I get all the events, but all the times are wrong... They are all listed as being in Mountain time, but I'm way over on the east coast... is there a simple way to adjust this so it shows up as local time for me?

Thanks,
Jeremy
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jgmaceachern wrote:Hey folks,

I'm trying to import the church calendar into my google calendar. It imports alright, I get all the events, but all the times are wrong... They are all listed as being in Mountain time, but I'm way over on the east coast... is there a simple way to adjust this so it shows up as local time for me?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy,
What times are you referring to? Remember that the times for Church-Wide events - those entered by CHQ (church headquarters) - will always be in mountain time. Those entered by the stake or ward should - if entered correctly - be in your own time zone.

Followup: I just attempted the same thing by exporting a calendar from the LUWS in ICAL format. If you check the top few lines of the saved ICAL file you'll notice the following;

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:luws-1.0
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:US/PACIFIC

Change the time zone to whatever zone you're in and then import it and it's all correct. Someone else may have a better work-a-round, but this worked for me.
jgmaceachern-p40

Techgy wrote:Jeremy,
What times are you referring to? Remember that the times for Church-Wide events - those entered by CHQ (church headquarters) - will always be in mountain time. Those entered by the stake or ward should - if entered correctly - be in your own time zone.
I was specifically referring to the time for our district meetings... for instance, a meeting this Saturday was showing up as starting at 1pm, when in actuality, it started at 10am. So it showed up properly on lds.org, but when I imported it, it would show up in Mountain time, instead of Atlantic time.

I managed to fix it shortly after I posted the question though. I went into the ics file that was created when I exported the calendar, and simply removed the VTIMEZONE section. After I did that, the import worked fine.

Thanks,
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I am puzzled. I am in Central time. The iCal export from LUWS had the TZID:US/MOUNTAIN header. Importing that (unmodified) export into the a new test Google calendar yielded events with the same times as on the LUWS (i.e. correct for my time zone). I can only guess that there is something about the way you are exporting the iCal file or importing it into your Google calendar that is introducing a glitch.

FWIW, my method for exporting the iCal file from LUWS is simply to right-click the iCal link and save the file to the desktop.

My method for importing the iCal file into Google Calendars is detailed in this post.
jgmaceachern-p40

jbh001 wrote:I am puzzled. I am in Central time. The iCal export from LUWS had the TZID:US/MOUNTAIN header. Importing that (unmodified) export into the a new test Google calendar yielded events with the same times as on the LUWS (i.e. correct for my time zone). I can only guess that there is something about the way you are exporting the iCal file or importing it into your Google calendar that is introducing a glitch.

FWIW, my method for exporting the iCal file from LUWS is simply to right-click the iCal link and save the file to the desktop.

My method for importing the iCal file into Google Calendars is detailed in this post.
Yes, that is exactly what I did, I even messed around with the time zone info in Gcalendar for that particular calendar... setting it to Mountain time, then atlantic time and vise versa. Either way, if all I have to do it remove that section of the export, it's not a big deal, doesn't make sense as to why it is happening though. I agree that it should just work.
bibnib-p40

Google calendar import

Post by bibnib-p40 »

I've done my best to change the timezone info, but it's not working. I don't actually know what to enter.

Here's the line from the LUWS export: TZID:US/Mountain

My timezone is Sydney, NSW, Australia....so what do I enter instead of "US/Mountain"?

Thanks,

Ian
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bibnib wrote:I've done my best to change the timezone info, but it's not working. I don't actually know what to enter.

Here's the line from the LUWS export: TZID:US/Mountain

My timezone is Sydney, NSW, Australia....so what do I enter instead of "US/Mountain"?

Thanks,

Ian
The original poster said he got the import to be successful if you removed the two lines that say "BEGIN:VTIMEZONE" and "TZID:XX/XXXXXX".

Also, if there is an END:VTIMEZONE", remove that as well I would say.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Just for information the tz database has the following time zones for Australia:
Australia/ACT
Australia/Adelaide
Australia/Brisbane
Australia/Broken_Hill
Australia/Canberra
Australia/Currie
Australia/Darwin
Australia/Eucla
Australia/Hobart
Australia/LHI
Australia/Lindeman
Australia/Lord_Howe
Australia/Melbourne
Australia/North
Australia/NSW
Australia/Perth
Australia/Queensland
Australia/South
Australia/Sydney
Australia/Tasmania
Australia/Victoria
Australia/West
Australia/Yancowinna
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bibnib-p40

Still don't get it...

Post by bibnib-p40 »

You know in the scriptures how we read about patience...well, I still don't get it.

Here's what I'm doing:
1) Export iCal file from LUWS (name the file "Stake Calendar").
2) Open Stake Calendar in Excel.
3) See below...I've tried variations of deleting lines 5, 6, and 22; or renaming line 6 to "Australia/Sydney".
4) Import the calendar into my Google calendar.

Nothing is working for me. Google gives me error: "Failed to import events: Unable to process your iCal/CSV file. The file is not properly formatted."

I notice that lines 11-22 also look like they have timezone info in them...could that be the problem.

1 BEGIN:VCALENDAR
2 VERSION:2.0
3 PRODID:luws-1.0
4 METHOD:PUBLISH
5 BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
6 TZID:US/Mountain
7 LAST-MODIFIED:20060203
8 BEGIN:STANDARD
9 DTSTART:19671029T020000
10 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
11 TZOFFSETFROM:-0600
12 TZOFFSETTO:-0700
13 TZNAME:MST
14 END:STANDARD
15 BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
16 DTSTART:19870405T020000
17 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=4
18 TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
19 TZOFFSETTO:-0600
20 TZNAME:MDT
21 END:DAYLIGHT
22 END:VTIMEZONE

Am I doing something dumb? I appreciate your help.

Ian
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bibnib wrote:You know in the scriptures how we read about patience...well, I still don't get it.

Here's what I'm doing:
1) Export iCal file from LUWS (name the file "Stake Calendar").
2) Open Stake Calendar in Excel.
3) See below...I've tried variations of deleting lines 5, 6, and 22; or renaming line 6 to "Australia/Sydney".
4) Import the calendar into my Google calendar.

Nothing is working for me. Google gives me error: "Failed to import events: Unable to process your iCal/CSV file. The file is not properly formatted."

I notice that lines 11-22 also look like they have timezone info in them...could that be the problem.

1 BEGIN:VCALENDAR
2 VERSION:2.0
3 PRODID:luws-1.0
4 METHOD:PUBLISH
5 BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
6 TZID:US/Mountain
7 LAST-MODIFIED:20060203
8 BEGIN:STANDARD
9 DTSTART:19671029T020000
10 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
11 TZOFFSETFROM:-0600
12 TZOFFSETTO:-0700
13 TZNAME:MST
14 END:STANDARD
15 BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
16 DTSTART:19870405T020000
17 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=4
18 TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
19 TZOFFSETTO:-0600
20 TZNAME:MDT
21 END:DAYLIGHT
22 END:VTIMEZONE

Am I doing something dumb? I appreciate your help.

Ian
Actually the whole last half looks like it has time zone stuff in it. Especially anything that has "TZ" in it.

We should probably hope the original poster will clarify how he/she did it with a little more detail.

Return to “Calendar”