Outstanding Checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
studentclerk-p40

Outstanding Checks

Post by studentclerk-p40 »

I am a new clerk and I've been looking at outstanding checks. I read the article at: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?v ... &hideNav=1

However, I have a question, I realize at some point these checks enter escheatment. At what point does this happen? If I have checks that are 2 years old and still outstanding, can I still clear them up by contacting the payee, or is it too late at that point?

Thanks!
Studentclerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

studentclerk wrote:I am a new clerk and I've been looking at outstanding checks. I read the article at: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?v ... &hideNav=1

However, I have a question, I realize at some point these checks enter escheatment. At what point does this happen? If I have checks that are 2 years old and still outstanding, can I still clear them up by contacting the payee, or is it too late at that point?

The point at which they should have been escheated has long since passed. I don't know the legalities of the system, but I do know that the instructions for the Outstanding Checks form allows you to make corrections when you receive the form. You can attempt to contact the payees and resolve the issues and if you can, you don't have to list on the form those checks that you have been able to resolve.

I would think that if you can clear them up, you still can. But that's just my opinion. In any case, if you cannot find the payee, make sure you include those checks on the Outstanding Checks form this year.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The Outstanding Check Form is a completed at a Stake Level, get the information to the Stake Clerk to be included.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jshawut wrote:The Outstanding Check Form is a completed at a Stake Level, get the information to the Stake Clerk to be included.

Actually, the form is completed at the ward level first. Each ward gets a form, which they are required to submit to the stake (even if they have no outstanding checks). Then the stake fills in a master form, which it then submits to the Church.
LSS-p40

Outstanding check form

Post by LSS-p40 »

studentclerk wrote:I am a new clerk and I've been looking at outstanding checks. I read the article at: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?v ... &hideNav=1

Thanks!
Studentclerk

The outstanding check forms from a few years ago are just now beginning to appear on the church unit financial statements. Headquarters had a big backlog and is just now catching up with entering them. They will show under the Miscellaneous section of the statement. If you don't know whether they have been escheated(turned into headquarters), you can call the help line and they can contact the person who does the entries. If you find you replaced a check you sent in to escheat, you can call and again, they can put you in contact with the person who did the entry. Hope this helps.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

studentclerk wrote:At what point does this happen? If I have checks that are 2 years old and still outstanding, can I still clear them up by contacting the payee, or is it too late at that point?k

I have been able to clear up some that were issued back in Jan 2007. The original check is obviously no good, but I'd say if you can clear it up still (void and reissue), do that before you escheat it.

I'm also a clerk in a student stake. You may want to see my post here about how to dig up contact info for students who have left the ward so long ago.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”