Stake Resource Scheduling

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
tlrogers

Stake Resource Scheduling

Post by tlrogers »

I have been working to better automate the loading of the Building Scheduling from the Stake Calendar for our stake. While we wait on the next generation of the LUWSs, I was wondering if anyone could provide ALL the available passed in parameters for scheduling a resource, i.e. all the parameters one can pass into

https://secure.lds.org/units/a/calendar/add/...html
https://secure.lds.org/units/a/admin/ca ... it/...html

Thus far I have been able to pass in the schedule date, begin_time, and end_time... I am then still forced to manually enter the Title (first line) and Description (details).

Here is an example link knowing that you will not be able to access it unless you are a member of my stake. But you could substitue

https://secure.lds.org/units/a/calendar/add/1,8226,986-1-1000-17258,00.html?date=Jan%2002%202009&monthIndex=1&ParentSiteId=506389&start_time=10:00%20AM&end_time=12:00%20PM

Parameters that work (that I have found thus far)
the 17258 is the resource # that specifies the resource being scheduled...will be different for your resource and may require other parameters before and after.

date - Assumes the begin and end date are the same (format: Mmm DD YYYY ... Jan 02 2009)
monthindex - Must be passed and should be the same month index as the date (format: # ... 1)
ParentSiteId - Must be the stake # in which the resrouce is being scheduled (format: ###### ... 506389)
start_time - Start time for the event (format HH:MM AM/PM ... 10:00 AM)
end_time - End time for the event (format HH:MM AM/PM ... 12:00 PM)

What I am looking for is the only 2 I am missing to allow for a correct and valid mechanism for loading or editing many events without feeling like I am trying to "work around" the system.:

title ... is not title, short_desc, desc, event ... tried all of these... if someone knows this I would be very graeful.

desc ... is not description, details ... tried these...

I am in not trying to hack the system as you are still required to login through the standard login screens to gain access to enter schedules into the resource calendars. But if you use a URL with the parameters correctly set it will automatically populate everything once you log into the LUWS. This just facilitates a very easy bulk load into the system using standard URLs and appropriate passed in params.

Up to this point I have been using iMacros for Firefox to bulk load the resource events. I was able to load all 400+ event across the 3 buildings for 2009 in a matter of 10 minutes this week after my Open Office macro compiled the iMacros iim macro in the correct format to populate all the parameters and submit the events into the calendar as I am the admin for the resources.

I would prefer to not use iMacros in the future and simply use a formatted URL...

Any additional help would be much appreciated.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tlrogers wrote:title ... is not title, short_desc, desc, event ... tried all of these... if someone knows this I would be very graeful.

desc ... is not description, details ... tried these...
By looking at the source you appeared to be close for the title. The title is short_descr. The details (desc) is body_long.

Maybe this will help.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

jdlessley wrote:By looking at the source you appeared to be close for the title. The title is short_descr. The details (desc) is body_long.

Maybe this will help.
Unfortunately, those are not the values you pass in. I've tried short_desc and body_long in the url and neither will populate the text boxes when the page resolves.

Must be something else ... if the pages even allow for the 2 values to be passed in.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tlrogers wrote:Unfortunately, that is not the values you pass in. I've tried short_desc and body_long in the url and neither will populate the text boxes when the page resolves.

Must be something else ... if the pages even allow for the 2 values to be passed in.
Make sure that you tried short_descr and not short_desc.

Also, you may not be able to pass in those specific values by URL. You may have to post those values in the request. Basically, you would have to use a scripting or programming language to do that though.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:Basically, you would have to use a scripting or programming language to do that though.
If you're going to do this though, you might as well actually submit the information automatically instead of just filling in the text fields.
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

mkmurray wrote:If you're going to do this though, you might as well actually submit the information automatically instead of just filling in the text fields.
Is there instructions on doing this somewhere on the site... submit the information automatically? Would be very interested if there are...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Someone posted a whole lot of information in a thread on how to upload calendar items with a script. I cannot find the link, but it is out there. So much for the search function. Or for my brain. [grin]

Update: It was you, tlrogers. At this thread:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... rerid=2343

Was that something different than what you are asking here?

Befuddled minds do not think alike.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tlrogers wrote:Is there instructions on doing this somewhere on the site... submit the information automatically? Would be very interested if there are...
I have written C# code in .NET that will log you into LUWS. Basically what I did was find the URL that the username and password are posted to in the form that is in the HTML source. You can simulate what the browser does programatically when you hit a Submit button.

I'll post some psuedo code or genericized code or something when I get a chance in a few days.
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

lajackson wrote:Someone posted a whole lot of information in a thread on how to upload calendar items with a script. I cannot find the link, but it is out there. So much for the search function. Or for my brain. [grin]

Update: It was you, tlrogers. At this thread:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... rerid=2343

Was that something different than what you are asking here?

Befuddled minds do not think alike.
That is what I did as a workaround. My thought was that I would provide the stake with a secondary site that in essence would only build the URL that would automatically add the calendar event and still require them to log in through the standard security login. With appropriate URL parameters no additional code would be necessary and my page would be simply html with ASP since no passwords would be required only pre-population of the pull-downs.

This would ensure that I as the admin for the resources would collect all the required information for the schedule and ensure that 90% of all entries use the standard template.
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

mkmurray wrote:I have written C# code in .NET that will log you into LUWS. Basically what I did was find the URL that the username and password are posted to in the form that is in the HTML source. You can simulate what the browser does programatically when you hit a Submit button.

I'll post some psuedo code or genericized code or something when I get a chance in a few days.
Some pseudo code would be great but I think this is more involvement than what I would like to use. Historically I have been big on macros and forms for previous callings. While they dramtically simplified the maintenance of all aspects of each previous calling they haven't been very clean to hand down to the next individual.

Something that is simply using links to the standard pages for scheduling building and plain html and javascript would be simpler to hand to the next individuals called to this position when and if that time comes.

Still, Would appreciate any pseudo code you could provide.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”