Name Misspelling

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lhblair

Name Misspelling

Post by lhblair »

During tithing settlement, a member noticed that his father's name shown on his record was misspelled as the person who ordained him an elder. Normally, the problem could be easily corrected by having his father contact his ward clerk. However, in this case, his father died in 2004. What's the procedure for correcting the records?:rolleyes:
opee

Post by opee »

lblair wrote:During tithing settlement, a member noticed that his father's name shown on his record was misspelled as the person who ordained him an elder. Normally, the problem could be easily corrected by having his father contact his ward clerk. However, in this case, his father died in 2004. What's the procedure for correcting the records?:rolleyes:

I believe the Clerk can call Church HQ (MLS Support) and have them correct it. You might also be able to correct it through the Family History department, but I think the MLS Support route would be quicker.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you saying his father's name is misspelled, or that the name of the person who ordained him (who happens to be his father) is misspelled?

If it's just the name on the ordination, I'd use the Special Request in MLS to send a note to SLC to have it fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you saying his father's name is misspelled, or that the name of the person who ordained him (who happens to be his father) is misspelled?

If it's just the name on the ordination, I'd use the Special Request in MLS to send a note to SLC to have it fixed.
Yes, I think Special Request would work well. If you don't see a change after about 2 weeks, I would send an MLS message as a follow up.

I had something similar changed this way and after I sent the follow up MLS email a few weeks later, it seemed the changes were made.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It may be worth pointing out to SLC that the ordination was done by his father.

I'm trying to remember if there's any record inking (for Priesthood lineage) in the PH ordination field. If there is, then that scrap of information may help SLC fix the link which in turn should fix the spelling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm trying to remember if there's any record inking (for Priesthood lineage) in the PH ordination field.
The actual Membership Record (not the IOS, the Record) includes the MR number of the person who performed the ordination, if the name is there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The actual Membership Record (not the IOS, the Record) includes the MR number of the person who performed the ordination, if the name is there.
If the link can be established from the information submitted. Otherwise, I think they show just the name.

A misspelling in just the Ordination name suggests that link was never established. My thought is that if you fix the link, then the spelling will fix itself as well as recording the PH line of authority in the computers.

jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

lblair wrote:During tithing settlement, a member noticed that his father's name shown on his record was misspelled as the person who ordained him an elder. Normally, the problem could be easily corrected by having his father contact his ward clerk. However, in this case, his father died in 2004. What's the procedure for correcting the records?
I would do the following:

From the MLS menu bar, navigate to Membership > Individual Record > select the corresponding member's record > Parents > then write down the full name, birth date, and record number of the member's father.

Next, select the Ordinances tab (right below the Parents tab) > click the Elder hyperlink > then delete the name, birth date, and record number of what ever is listed there, and replace it with the information you wrote down from the Parents tab including full name, birth date, and the father's record number. Then click Save, then Close.

To see if the change "took," from the MLS menu bar, navigate to File > Membership Record Transaction Report. If you see your changes listed, then go ahead an do a Send/Receive Changes to transmit the change to CHQ.

Return to “Membership Help”