How the LUWS can benefit the Young Men's/Boy Scouts Organization

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

How the LUWS can benefit the Young Men's/Boy Scouts Organization

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I've already made a post about how the LUWS can benefit the Young Women's Organization. I knew where to start there, since it wasn't long ago that I was in Young Women's.

However, I need a little more help with suggestions for the Young Men's/Boy Scouts Organization. I want to email the Young Men's President and Scout Leadership about ways that they can use the LUWS to benefit their organization and the members of it.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions geared toward usage of the LUWS for the Young Men's and Scouting Organization? If so, please give them here. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

Ailene
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

AileneRHerrick wrote:I've already made a post about how the LUWS can benefit the Young Women's Organization. I knew where to start there, since it wasn't long ago that I was in Young Women's.

However, I need a little more help with suggestions for the Young Men's/Boy Scouts Organization. I want to email the Young Men's President and Scout Leadership about ways that they can use the LUWS to benefit their organization and the members of it.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions geared toward usage of the LUWS for the Young Men's and Scouting Organization? If so, please give them here. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

Ailene,
In general terms the LUWS is there to benefit all organizations. The primary method of assisting organizations, wards and stake are by the entry of calendar dates and by the posting of news items relative to activities that are upcoming. Attachments can be posted to these new articles and links may be added as appropriate.

In terms of supporting the BSA an example might be an upcoming district campout. A news article could be created giving some information and an attachment could be used to provide a sign-up form for the event. A link could be provided to the district web site where additional contact information were available.

These are basic capabilities that are available. We're all hoping that the new version of the LUWS, which is due sometime???? will provide some additional enhancements.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:However, I need a little more help with suggestions for the Young Men's/Boy Scouts Organization. I want to email the Young Men's President and Scout Leadership about ways that they can use the LUWS to benefit their organization and the members of it.

Here are a few ideas. First, the website is great for sharing information, so any information that helps the Young Men's and Boy Scouts could be very useful. Second, the website is great for sharing news, so news that encourages the young men to work on BSA rank advancements and merit badges would be great. Third, the website calendar should be used as much as it makes sense.

1. Post news of rank advancements and merit badges
2. Schedule the scout camps and high adventure activities on the calendar
3. Create a PDF file with individuals listed who are on the scout committee
4. Create a PDF file with ideas that can be used for Eagle projects
5. Create a PDF file listing the boys and their progress in scouting (make sure you get permission to share this information)
6. Create a PDF file listing local resources for helping with merit badges
7. Recognize the Young men for accomplishments in school and the community by posting the news on the website
8. Post on the website details that are needed by parents (i.e., waivers, permission forms, itineraries, supplies) to help their sons with summer activities
9. Create a calendar of monthly events and activities, post it on the website, and e-mail it to the parents of the boys.

Thanks,
Dennis
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Techgy wrote:In general terms the LUWS is there to benefit all organizations. The primary method of assisting organizations, wards and stake are by the entry of calendar dates and by the posting of news items relative to activities that are upcoming. Attachments can be posted to these new articles and links may be added as appropriate.

In terms of supporting the BSA an example might be an upcoming district campout. A news article could be created giving some information and an attachment could be used to provide a sign-up form for the event. A link could be provided to the district web site where additional contact information were available.

Thanks! Good suggestions!
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:Here are a few ideas. First, the website is great for sharing information, so any information that helps the Young Men's and Boy Scouts could be very useful. Second, the website is great for sharing news, so news that encourages the young men to work on BSA rank advancements and merit badges would be great. Third, the website calendar should be used as much as it makes sense.

1. Post news of rank advancements and merit badges
2. Schedule the scout camps and high adventure activities on the calendar
3. Create a PDF file with individuals listed who are on the scout committee
4. Create a PDF file with ideas that can be used for Eagle projects
5. Create a PDF file listing the boys and their progress in scouting (make sure you get permission to share this information)
6. Create a PDF file listing local resources for helping with merit badges
7. Recognize the Young men for accomplishments in school and the community by posting the news on the website
8. Post on the website details that are needed by parents (i.e., waivers, permission forms, itineraries, supplies) to help their sons with summer activities
9. Create a calendar of monthly events and activities, post it on the website, and e-mail it to the parents of the boys.

WOW! I enjoyed your ideas for the Young Women's Organization, and you certainly did not disappoint in this topic either! Thanks for the great ideas! I appreciate it!
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

We use a separate resource calendar for YM/YW. It allows the different classes and quorums to put a lot more detail in their calendar items without being worried about filling up the ward calendar. YM and YW secretaries take the items that need ward visibility and submit them to the ward calendar. Having a separate YM/YW calendar for this purpose also allows us to assign separate administrator rights to the resource calendar while maintaining the admin rights to the ward web site/calender. The biggest drawback is that items on the YM/YW calendar don't automatically show up on the Ward calendar. It would be nice if you could filter events....maybe in the next release?!

Hope that give you some additional ideas.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

dshep2020 wrote:We use a separate resource calendar for YM/YW. It allows the different classes and quorums to put a lot more detail in their calendar items without being worried about filling up the ward calendar. YM and YW secretaries take the items that need ward visibility and submit them to the ward calendar. Having a separate YM/YW calendar for this purpose also allows us to assign separate administrator rights to the resource calendar while maintaining the admin rights to the ward web site/calender. The biggest drawback is that items on the YM/YW calendar don't automatically show up on the Ward calendar. It would be nice if you could filter events....maybe in the next release?!

Hope that give you some additional ideas.
Is this separate resource calendar produced through the local unit web site? If so, how do you do this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Is this separate resource calendar produced through the local unit web site? If so, how do you do this?
Using the Admin functions of the local unit web site, you can add as many Resources as you like. The approach suggested above does stretch the meaning of "resource" a bit, since normally the Resource scheduling is used only for physical items such a buildings, ball fields, projectors, tents, etc.

But it is a clever way to add an additional calendar (since there is only one calendar at the ward level), and resources and calendars do function almost exactly the same. As mentioned, it does have the drawback of not integrating with the ward calendar, but given current LUWS functionality, some wards may find it a useful workaround.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:Using the Admin functions of the local unit web site, you can add as many Resources as you like. The approach suggested above does stretch the meaning of "resource" a bit, since normally the Resource scheduling is used only for physical items such a buildings, ball fields, projectors, tents, etc.

But it is a clever way to add an additional calendar (since there is only one calendar at the ward level), and resources and calendars do function almost exactly the same. As mentioned, it does have the drawback of not integrating with the ward calendar, but given current LUWS functionality, some wards may find it a useful workaround.
Thank you!! I just tested it and it works great! Now if I can convince the members that it is worth registering and making a few clicks to view a monthly calendar......
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

That is a challange. At the very least, ward leadership has the calendaring items. We provide the link to partents as well, but it is mostly used by leadership.

We also have a link to the resouce calendar on the front page of the ward web site. Makes it a little easier to navigate to the resource calendar.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”