Stake and Ward calendar

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
arc-p40

Stake and Ward calendar

Post by arc-p40 »

How can you import a stake calendar to the stake website, without putting each item in separately?

We have one in Excel, and want to import it. Any ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

arc wrote:How can you import a stake calendar to the stake website, without putting each item in separately?

Currently there is not a way to accomplish this. We are all waiting to see what the next version of LUWS has in store. There is no official word when it will be deployed but indications are early next year.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mtwerner

Just do it!

Post by mtwerner »

But don't let that discourage you from using the Web calendar. I can't imagine that it would take more than an hour or so to enter your events--and you can take advantage of repeating events to simplify some of it. But the benefit of having the calendar on the Web is significant, even though there are some aspects of the calendar that are less than ideal. I would never go back to a non-Web solution.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mtwerner wrote:But don't let that discourage you from using the Web calendar. I can't imagine that it would take more than an hour or so to enter your events--and you can take advantage of repeating events to simplify some of it. But the benefit of having the calendar on the Web is significant, even though there are some aspects of the calendar that are less than ideal. I would never go back to a non-Web solution.

While I agree with your conclusion that the benefits of the Web calendar are significant and worth the effort, you need a little better imagination :). It took me about 4 hours to enter my stake's calendar, and I did use repeating events where I could (but because of the LUWS limitation in that area, that wasn't as much as I would like). And I didn't even enter hardly any details on the events. The server response is often very slow, so you can end up waiting 20-30 seconds just to enter one event. So for our over 400 events, that adds up to take some time.

However, the stake calendar is layered with the ward calendar, so the benefits of my efforts were multiplied 7 times for the seven wards in our stake. Now we have a dynamic calendar that will benefit our stake members throughout the year. It was definitely worth it.
ihenpecked

Trying to export Web site calendar as CSV to Google

Post by ihenpecked »

With the calendar open, I clicked the CSV link.
I copied it into Excel doc
Saved as CSV
Used the import Calendar function in Google Cal
Selected the CSV doc
Repeatedly get Calendar unavailable error in Google from two different browsers. What am I missing? Can somebody please help?
I've checked to see if there's an existing thread on this but haven't found one.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ihenpecked wrote:With the calendar open, I clicked the CSV link.
I copied it into Excel doc
Saved as CSV
Used the import Calendar function in Google Cal
Selected the CSV doc
Repeatedly get Calendar unavailable error in Google from two different browsers. What am I missing? Can somebody please help?
I've checked to see if there's an existing thread on this but haven't found one.
I have never exported a LUWS calendar with the intent to import into Google Calendar. However, when I followed the steps you describe I also received the same error. I then checked the Google Calendar help files. One of those help topics titled About CSV files indicated that the minimum requirements for a csv file to import into Google Calendar must have the following minimum header information - Subject, Start Date, and Start Time. The header information provided from a LUWS csv export are event id, event type, start, end, location, title, and description.

Evidently Google Calendar does not translate the headers and without the required header information, your new CSV file is incomplete and you are not able to import it into Google Calendar. After I edited the headers in MS Excel to conform to the required minimums the import was successful - to a degree. I edited "start" to "start date", "end" to "end date", and "title" to "subject". However, there are some other problems that arrose because the LUWS csv file uses the combined date-time format for the "start" and "end" columns. Google Calendar only sees the "start" and "end" data as a date only. With this in mind I copied the "start date" column to another new column I labeled "start time" and the same for the "end date" and "end time" and reformated to a time only format.

Even after all of this not all the events appeared in the Google Calendar. It appeared that only events with the bold html tag in the "subject" data element appeared. I did not pursue the problems any further since it appeared there was going to be a lot more investigating and editing to get a usable csv file for import.

Maybe someone else can explore this further for you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I just tried it using the iCal export option from the LUWS instead of CSV, and it seemed to import into Google Calendar with out a hitch, no extra steps or anything.

Specifically:
  • Open the Ward/Stake Calandar.
  • Click the iCal link, and save the file to the desktop.
  • Open my Google Calendar.
  • Click the small Add link in the bottom right corner of the “Other calendars” box that’s on the left side of the calendar page.
  • Click the Import Calendar link under Calendar settings.
  • Click the Browse button and select my exported iCal file.
  • Select the calendar I want the events imported to.
  • Click Import and wait.
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

arc wrote:How can you import a stake calendar to the stake website, without putting each item in separately?

You can use iMacros for Firefox or IE to enter them. You have to format the iim file correctly for it to work but I loaded all of our 2009 items without issues... main format is...

TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=TXT:Submit<SP>Event
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:short_descr CONTENT=Stake<SP>YM<SP>Sporting<SP>Event,<SP>Gym
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:start_day CONTENT=%19
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:start_month CONTENT=%11
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:start_year CONTENT=%2009
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:start_time CONTENT=71
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:end_day CONTENT=%19
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:end_month CONTENT=%11
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:end_year CONTENT=%2009
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:submitEventForm ATTR=NAME:end_time CONTENT=88
TAG POS=1 TYPE=B ATTR=TXT:Submit

I used an OpenOffice Macro to compile all the events that needed adding from a CSV export from another calendar program the end was 100+ lines of the code above for all the events... Note that I found that iMacros gets cranky after about 280+ lines of macro code so I ha to break up my entries to make it all work...

Not that straight forward but it works fairly well (if you are the admin) so that you don't then have to have all the events approved.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”