Donor record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
carlscpa

Donor record

Post by carlscpa »

A couple made a donation in early December. We did not recognize the name and I think I entered the donation as "not a ward member". This happens in our ward fairly often. We subsequently received their records and I went to Add/Update Donors, selected the name used for the donation (the husbands) and in the donor name window selected the donor name which was linked to a record number and changed the classification to Member of Unit. The Donor Add/Update window now shows the member name with a record number. However,when I print out the tithing report it shows no donation. The donation batch shows the corredt name.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Carl wrote:A couple made a donation in early December. We did not recognize the name and I think I entered the donation as "not a ward member". This happens in our ward fairly often. We subsequently received their records and I went to Add/Update Donors, selected the name used for the donation (the husbands) and in the donor name window selected the donor name which was linked to a record number and changed the classification to Member of Unit. The Donor Add/Update window now shows the member name with a record number. However,when I print out the tithing report it shows no donation. The donation batch shows the corredt name.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks
You seem to have followed the correct process. The only other thing I can think of to check is to make sure that there is only one member record with that name, and that it has the correct permanent record number. Sometimes a temporary record number is created for an individual. When the new record arrives it does not replace the temporary record but instead becomes an additional record.

A temporary record number will look like unit#-xxxx. For example, if your unit number is 123456, a temporary record number might look like 012-3456-0001. You mentioned that the "Donor Add/Update window now shows the member name with a record number," but you didn't mention whether that number is the correct permanent record number for the member. So check to make sure there is only one membership record for the donor and that it has a permanent record number.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:You seem to have followed the correct process.

Alan, wasn't there also that magic process you had to do with the tithing report to trigger the list so that all of the donors would show up? This comes up each year, but I forget how to do it after about 11 months. [grin] Do you remember what I am talking about?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Carl wrote:A couple made a donation in early December...

One question I have - does the donation show up on their individual statement? If so, then we may have to wait for Alan_Brown's reply on how to refresh the tithing report.

If not, then I have one more question. Which December are we talking about? Last Sunday was still early December 2008 for me, so I'm wondering if they perhaps donated in early December 2007? If so, then it would make sense to me that, even with a linked donor record, their December 2007 donation does not show up in the 2008 individual statement and tithing report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Alan, wasn't there also that magic process you had to do with the tithing report to trigger the list so that all of the donors would show up? This comes up each year, but I forget how to do it after about 11 months. [grin] Do you remember what I am talking about?

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. In my experience, all the records show up just fine with no extra steps. I'm pretty sure that if there were some "magic" process required, this forum would have been flooded with questions on that topic. But since tithing settlement is well under way, and we have had nary a question on the topic (I just love the word "nary" and haven't used it in a while -- it's a fine word, isn't it?), I can only assume that there is no such process required.

Of course, Larry, you've been a clerk much longer than I have, so perhaps it harkens back to the days when you had to write out your records longhand on wide paper with lots of columns before inputting them into MLS. :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Perhaps there's some "magic" required to get all members to show up? As in members who may be exempt or need to be marked as non-title payers?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Perhaps there's some "magic" required to get all members to show up? As in members who may be exempt or need to be marked as non-title payers?

The only thing I can think of along these lines is that when you Enter Tithing Declarations, there is a View dropdown in the upper right corner that lists "All Members", "Donors", "Nondonors", or "Undeclared". Obviously if you view just donors, you won't see people who made no donations, and you have to change the selector to "All Members", "Nondonors", or "Undeclared" in order to be able to see those nondonors in order to make their declarations.

But this is simply a viewing filter. All members of the ward are listed automatically. You have to eventually declare a status (or at least make a comment) for each member before you can submit anyway. Since the default is "All Members", this filter really only lets you hide portions of the list. This doesn't sound quite like what Larry was referring to.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:This doesn't sound quite like what Larry was referring to.

I am travelling and cannot get to MLS. When I get home on Tuesday, I will look it up. There used to be a problem in the Tithing Settlement module where members would not show up in the reports. You had to force an update to the list. Obviously, I canot remember the details. And it may no longer be a problem.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Carl wrote: However,when I print out the tithing report it shows no donation. The donation batch shows the corredt name.
What do you mean by "tithing report," and which link are you clicking to get there?

A. Print Individual Statements?
B. Print Household Statements?
C. Tithing Declaration Report?
D. Donor Statements?
E. Enter Tithing Declarations?

If the donation fails to show up when you try link A, does the donation also fail to show up in any of the printouts from link B?

Does the donation show up in any of the printouts from any of the links above?

Was the donation for tithing, fast offerings, some other category, or a mix of all of these? (That is, could this have been a donation to the "other" category, and that is why it is not showing up as "tithing"?)

Are you sure that the "tithing report" is printing for the same Fiscal Year the donation was made? (I know this is a long-shot, but it is worth checking to make sure that the year on the batch is the same year selected for the "tithing report" even though the defaults should make this unnecessary.)

Please report back.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:There used to be a problem in the Tithing Settlement module where members would not show up in the reports. You had to force an update to the list. Obviously, I cannot remember the details. And it may no longer be a problem.
I am back. Ok. I was recalling the Enter Tithing Declarations link under Tithing Settlement in the Finances menu. Sometimes members who had contributed were not included in the Tithing Declarations list so that their status could be entered.

The solution was to click on the Add Members button.

I am not sure whether this helps with the particular question asked in this thread, but is does alleviate my deficient memory of the last few days. [grin]

Note to self: Read before answering. I think this will solve the problem Carl described in his first post. Try it out and let us know. Thanks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”