Tithing Settlement statements..

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cdawardclerk-p40

Tithing Settlement statements..

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

I'm finding out that some members of our ward are listed as 'Out-of-Unit' in the donor list. Why does MLS list Out-of-Unit for a donor that is already a member of our ward? Does MLS keep two databases...one for membership and another for donors? I recently printed out a Tithing Settlement Report for a member in which no tithing appeared. He claimed he and his wife paid some tithing as they are relatively new in the ward. I went to Add/Update Donors and found out they were listed as 'Out-of-Unit'. I changed it to 'Member' then printed out a tithing statement that showed their payments! Why does the donor list a member as out-of-unit if they are already a member?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

cdawardclerk wrote:I'm finding out that some members of our ward are listed as 'Out-of-Unit' in the donor list. Why does MLS list Out-of-Unit for a donor that is already a member of our ward?
Yes, it happens on occasion. (See below.)
cdawardclerk wrote:Does MLS keep two databases...one for membership and another for donors?
It sure does.
cdawardclerk wrote:I recently printed out a Tithing Settlement Report for a member in which no tithing appeared. He claimed he and his wife paid some tithing as they are relatively new in the ward. I went to Add/Update Donors and found out they were listed as 'Out-of-Unit'. I changed it to 'Member' then printed out a tithing statement that showed their payments! Why does the donor list a member as out-of-unit if they are already a member?
If a member moves into the ward and makes a donation BEFORE their membership records arrive, the clerk must create a new record in the donor database for them, but since the clerk can't link that donor record to a missing membership record, a temporary number is assigned. If the clerk selected "Member" when creating this new donor record, it will trigger an Urgent Task reminding him that this needs to be corrected. If the clerk incorrectly selected "Out of Unit Member", then he will NOT receive an Urgent Task reminder.

Once the membership records arrive, it's up to the clerk to link the donor record to the membership record. If this is not done, you might not see the donations for this member properly. This won't be done automatically because MLS has no way of knowing if the people in the donor database and the membership database are the same until the clerk confirms it.

I've also seen this happen with a family, or more often, a college student that has moved out of the ward, then back in during the same calendar year. When they move out, the donor database is changed to Out of Unit Member, but when they move back in, it STILL shows them as an Out of Unit Member until the clerk manually changes it back to Member and re-verifies the link to the correct membership record.

Hope this makes sense.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cdawardclerk-p40

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yes, it happens on occasion. (See below.)

It sure does.

If a member moves into the ward and makes a donation BEFORE their membership records arrive, the clerk must create a new record in the donor database for them, but since the clerk can't link that donor record to a missing membership record, a temporary number is assigned. If the clerk selected "Member" when creating this new donor record, it will trigger an Urgent Task reminding him that this needs to be corrected. If the clerk incorrectly selected "Out of Unit Member", then he will NOT receive an Urgent Task reminder.

Once the membership records arrive, it's up to the clerk to link the donor record to the membership record. If this is not done, you might not see the donations for this member properly. This won't be done automatically because MLS has no way of knowing if the people in the donor database and the membership database are the same until the clerk confirms it.

I've also seen this happen with a family, or more often, a college student that has moved out of the ward, then back in during the same calendar year. When they move out, the donor database is changed to Out of Unit Member, but when they move back in, it STILL shows them as an Out of Unit Member until the clerk manually changes it back to Member and re-verifies the link to the correct membership record.

Hope this makes sense.
Mikerowaved,

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. I don't remember receiving an Urgent Task notice for this member though. I'm sure whe the new donor record was created that I checked Member, however at my age my memory is not as good as it once was. Thanks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”