MLS thinks it is Dec 2009

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thesmith7-p40

MLS thinks it is Dec 2009

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

Need some help. Someone used our ward computer on Sunday and accidently changed the date to Dec 2009.

We discovered the error while trying to enter donations yesterday. We changed the date back on the computer to 2008. However MLS now locks us out from even logging into MLS as it must think 'we are up to something'. So now we can't do anything related to MLS on our computer.

Anyway today we get an email with the following

If it has beenless than 2 weeks, have the unit do the following:

Make sure MLS is closed

1)Change the date in Windows to match date MLS thinks it is
2)Open MLS and log in
3)Restore backup from before first date change was made
4)Exit MLS
5)Move Windows system date back to current
6)Log back into MLS
7)Reenter all data since backup

Can someone help me out on how to go about this? I would think if we try to do step 5 and 6 we would be locked out of Mls again? Is that not the case?

Fortunately I was doing some work prior to this happening and have a backup from the sunday morning of this happening.

Has this happened to anyone else...and if so how did you correct.

Thanks!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thesmith7 wrote:Can someone help me out on how to go about this? I would think if we try to do step 5 and 6 we would be locked out of Mls again? Is that not the case?
No, it won't lock you out again. Apparently, MLS stores what it thinks the correct date and time is somewhere in the back up. If you restore a backup that was made before the "incident" of the Windows time change, then you should be good to go following the instructions you outlined. The time consistency check is apparently at login, so if you get MLS restored to the correct date & time, exit MLS, and then change the system time to be correct, then the time consistency check should pass. The most important part of getting this process started is Step 1, get your Windows date put back to 2009.

As for the problem with clerks messing around with System Date & Time, there have been a few other threads about how to do this within Windows. Does somebody have a link handy?
thesmith7-p40

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

Thanks for the info....I'll give it a try and hopefully it will work.

I have seen the other links in regard to the date on the computer. I think i will likely hide the date info from the taskbar to prevent this from happening again.

One other quick question does this delete all HT and VT etc....do companionships, ward orginization all have to be re inputed into MLS?
kd7mha

Disable changing time in windows

Post by kd7mha »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This link will present the fix and the prevention.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

thesmith7 wrote:One other quick question does this delete all HT and VT etc....do companionships, ward orginization all have to be re inputed into MLS?
Restoring a backup simply resets MLS to the state it was in when you made the backup. So you just have to redo the work that was done since that date, but you don't lose anything that existed at the moment the backup was made.
thesmith7-p40

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Restoring a backup simply resets MLS to the state it was in when you made the backup. So you just have to redo the work that was done since that date, but you don't lose anything that existed at the moment the backup was made.

Perfect....
kh_design

Disabled clock adjustment in Windows XP Pro

Post by kh_design »

I use these steps to disabled clock adjustment in Windows XP Pro, works very well.

Go to:
1. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy or click -> Start click -> Run, type SECPOL.MSC click -> OK
2. Select "Local Policies" and "User Rights Assignments"
3. Double click on "Change the system time"
4. Remove all check-marks from users click -> OK
5. Reboot the workstation (Shutdown, Restart)

With the user rights removed, clicking time on the task-bar will no longer bring up the calendar, will instead display a message 'user is not authorized to modify the system time'.

If you need to change the workstation time it can be done through the BIOS, or, reverse, add user rights, reboot the workstation, set the clock, and then again go through the steps to remove the user rights. Since the second requires two reboots and waiting for windows to load I change the time in the BIOS, it is only one reboot.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kh_design wrote:5. Reboot the workstation (Shutdown, Restart)
A logout/login will do the job. No need to reboot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thesmith7-p40

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

Just wanted to report this was actually a fairly easy process went smooth and quick.

Thanks for the help. And i did go ahead and hide the clock on the tray so this won't happen again.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”