Importing V-card format into Palm Desktop

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jasonhyer

Importing V-card format into Palm Desktop

Post by jasonhyer »

I have tried to import the MLS Individual and Family vCard files into Palm desktop and I get the error "An error occurd while importing the vCard file. The file may not be a valid vCard file or it may contain too many entries."

Has anybody experienced this problem and/or figured out how to get around it.

Thanks for the help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jasonhyer wrote:I have tried to import the MLS Individual and Family vCard files into Palm desktop and I get the error "An error occurd while importing the vCard file. The file may not be a valid vCard file or it may contain too many entries."

Has anybody experienced this problem and/or figured out how to get around it.

Thanks for the help.

I have not tried to import the vCard format, so I can't really comment on the vCard error message.

However, I have often imported the CSV Palm export files with no problems. Have you tried importing the CSV?
jasonhyer

CSV palm files no longer available

Post by jasonhyer »

I used to import the Palm CSV files but that is no longer an option as of version 2.9 or 2.9.1. The Palm CSV files were replaced by the vCard formats.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jasonhyer wrote:I used to import the Palm CSV files but that is no longer an option as of version 2.9 or 2.9.1. The Palm CSV files were replaced by the vCard formats.

The Palm CSV files still exist. They are just omitted from the user interface. The UI is supposed to be fixed someday.

If you choose either of the vCard formats (individual or family), the corresponding "Palm" CSV format will also be exported.
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

I routinely import the vCard files from the LUWS into the Palm Desktop without a problem. I use this method since my release from a calling where I had access to MLS. That being said, when I did have access to MLS I routinely used MIS2PALM (see http://www.mis2palm.com/ ) and thought it was great. It used to have good instructions on what files to export from MLS to get what you need. I found it invaluable as it gave me names, birthdates, HT/VT, callings, Membership numbers, childrens names, etc., etc. Simple to use and I highly recommend it. I do believe, however, that you need some kind of admin access in MLS to get the files you need exported.
sammefford

Works for me!

Post by sammefford »

I was able to import vcard into my Palm Desktop 6.2.2 by opening the category where I wanted the contacts to go, then dragging the vcard file onto palm desktop.

On a related note, since I already had 15 categories, and palm desktop limited me to 15 categories, I was forced to consolidate. I found I could clean up old categories from prior wards by exporting as TAB delimited, then editing the text file to set the company field (9th field) to the ward name, then imported the contacts with the new "company" into one combined "Old Wards" category. That allowed me to delete the categories I had for prior wards. Hopefully this helps someone else. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Now that I see how easy it is to import from lds stake and ward websites into my Palm, I wish I had done this years ago. I'm worried it won't be so easy once I get a Palm Pre . . .

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”