Temple recommend - Barcode print from MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lawrence.william

Temple recommend - Barcode print from MLS

Post by lawrence.william »

This is just an idea that I had. I have seen clerks having trouble filling out all information about a member like, record number, living oridinance details in the samall box provided in the temple recommend book. Is there a possibility that all information can be printed out from the MLS . For security reasons even the MLS can print barcode in each recommend so that it is secure and safe. All column and information would be clear and accurat:confused:

Example: We have a feature in the MLS to print baptism confirmation ciertificate. Like wise we could have one to print temple recommend. any suggesstions !!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Lawrence wrote:This is just an idea that I had. I have seen clerks having trouble filling out all information about a member like, record number, living oridinance details in the samall box provided in the temple recommend book. Is there a possibility that all information can be printed out from the MLS . For security reasons even the MLS can print barcode in each recommend so that it is secure and safe. All column and information would be clear and accurat:confused:

Example: We have a feature in the MLS to print baptism confirmation ciertificate. Like wise we could have one to print temple recommend. any suggesstions !!
This is an interesting idea. I could see some pros and cons to the suggestion.

The advantages would be that you could print out the day's worth of temple recommend interviews and only have to sign them as you are going through the interviews. This would be convienent I would think.

A few disadvantages might be that this solution isn't as flexible as being able to fill in the information yourself by hand. For instance, what if you forgot to check mark an individual who has a temple recommend interview with you? You would have to go to the clerk and ask to reprint the recommends sheet. Also a recommend is much smaller than an entire sheet of paper, so it would seem wasteful to print out a sheet just to have one or two recommends be auto-filled in.

If you can have the advantages of both ways, maybe that would be best. You would still be allowed to have blank recommends to fill in by hand; but if you knew you had a bunch of interviews during the day, you could have them all pre-filled in for you.
lawrence.william

Post by lawrence.william »

thank you for your suggesstion. I hope that some day we will be able to do this along wi th the living ordinance. I assume that the temple recommend will become even as small as a micro SD card or even like a credit or a debit card we carry. cheers!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think this would end up as a controlled form, much like the checks. Printer alignment would be critical. Then there's the problem of printed information coming off on any plastic covering.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

How would printed information be any less susceptible to smudge or removal than various inks currently used. It could be much more legible as well.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kgthunder wrote:How would printed information be any less susceptible to smudge or removal than various inks currently used. It could be much more legible as well.
Many of the inks used in printers is water soluble. The companies that refill these cartridges use DI (DeIonized) water to clean the cartridge prior to the refill. Although the ink is fairly permanent once it's dried, it's not as permanent as an ink pen.

Since the recommend is only valid for two years and a new plastic cover is available at the temple, I don't see the ink coming off as a problem, but it's possible. Of course, it's also possible that a handwritten recommend could be damaged if it gets wet. :D
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

kgthunder wrote:How would printed information be any less susceptible to smudge or removal than various inks currently used. It could be much more legible as well.
You know it doesn't make total sense to me either, but I have to admit I see printed text come off onto plastic way more than I see written ink come off in the same way.

Perhaps there is a difference in the inks themselves, the manner in which they are applied to the paper, or they way the "soak" into the paper?

EDIT: And there you go, thank you Techgy! :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mkmurray wrote:You know it doesn't make total sense to me either, but I have to admit I see printed text come off onto plastic way more than I see written ink come off in the same way.

Toner will stick to plastic if the toner and plastic are inexpensive. Inkjet stuff usually just smears when it gets wet. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ink is a liquid that soaks into the paper. Laser printed or photo copied pages are done with a dry powder deposited on the page by an electrostatic process and then melted (fused) to the page though heat and pressure. So the process is completely different.

I can also say from personal experience that such pages like to stick to the inside of binders or plastic cover sheets. I tried googling for an answer, but wasn't able to find much outside of the claim that the "plasticizers" used to keep the plastic flexible acted like a solvent to toner (which I suspect may contain plastic or plastic-like compounds).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Which ever way you want to print it, if you hit it with a quick shot of clear Krylon (or even most lady's hair spray) and let it dry for 60 seconds, you wont have any problems with smudging or transferring to the plastic..

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”