Sun Certified Java Programmer

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
carljokl

Sun Certified Java Programmer

Post by carljokl »

I have been away from this forum for a bit because I was busy revising for the SCJP certification exam. Happily I am now a Sun Certified Java Programmer. SCJP is just the beginning but is a prerequisite for the other Sun Java Certifications. I intend to look at Sun Certified Java Developer after Christmas (in the mean time I am enjoying getting my life back somewhat).

Does cerification have any impact in this community, i.e. would the Church look more favourably on working with members holding industry certifications? Ultimately I am currently working as a .Net developer but the fact I am getting Sun Certified at my own expence ought to be a hint how much I enjoy being a .Net developer. This is a turbulent time however and I am in a stable job but would like to keep my options open.
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

It looks like my message has been moved to here. I think the meaning may have been missunderstood and I apologise if it has. When I talked about working with the Church I was talking about on a volunteer basis. I do have a carreer change in mind and SCJP is going to help me in that certainly but it was not my intention to persue working for the Church as a carreer move. What I wondered was whether in addittion to that holding relevant certification was also seen as being of benefit also in the volunteer based projects?

It is not hugely important I was just curious.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Carl Jokl wrote:...What I wondered was whether in addittion to that holding relevant certification was also seen as being of benifit also in the volunteer based projects?

Sure! It will most definitely be a benefit to the volunteer projects going on in the LDS Tech Wiki. It's definitely not a requirement in any way and it won't include or exclude you from a particular project on its own merit. But the expertise you will gain from certification will definitely be welcome input and experience as volunteer projects are developed.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Carl Jokl wrote:It looks like my message has been moved to here. I think the meaning may have been missunderstood and I apologise if it has. When I talked about working with the Church I was talking about on a volunteer basis. I do have a carreer change in mind and SCJP is going to help me in that certainly but it was not my intention to persue working for the Church as a carreer move. What I wondered was whether in addittion to that holding relevant certification was also seen as being of benefit also in the volunteer based projects?

Yes, it certainly will be helpful, but will not be required. We seek individuals that have the time and talents and desire to help.

Tom

Return to “Technical Recruiting”