Attendance Roll Issue

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lgrobbins-p40

Attendance Roll Issue

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

Since the latest release of MLS I seem to be having a new issue. When we attempt to print attendance rolls for Primary classes using the "Print Rolls and Lists" option we get individuals included on the rolls that are not assigned to the selected class. When we switch over and print a list of the class members the list is correct.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or have any suggestions?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lgrobbins wrote:Since the latest release of MLS I seem to be having a new issue. When we attempt to print attendance rolls for Primary classes using the "Print Rolls and Lists" option we get individuals included on the rolls that are not assigned to the selected class. When we switch over and print a list of the class members the list is correct.

You might get some help from a previous thread that addressed some of the same issues. Click HERE
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lgrobbins wrote:Since the latest release of MLS I seem to be having a new issue. When we attempt to print attendance rolls for Primary classes using the "Print Rolls and Lists" option we get individuals included on the rolls that are not assigned to the selected class. When we switch over and print a list of the class members the list is correct.

By design, rolls are supposed to include members who will be part of the class during any portion of the time period covered by the roll, so it will often be the case that the roll will contain more members than the class list. The class list contains only the members of the class on the day the list is generated.

If you are seeing class members who are not explained by this, or by the situations described in the thread mentioned in the previous post, then please supply some more details. For example:
  • Is this happening with one, some, or all of the Primary classes?
  • Are the extra members Primary age but just in the wrong class, or are they older than 12?
  • Do you just use the standard classes or have you created extra classes (e.g., CTR5A and CTR5B)?
lgrobbins-p40

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

To Alan_Brown: You mention that the class roll will include members who will be part of the class during any portion of the time period covered by the roll. We are printing rolls for three months so we are probably seeing names who will move into that class in January (which would not have been the case last time we printed out the rolls).

I will check this out with the primary secretary...I am thinking this is what we are seeing...Thanks!
zaneclark

Class Roll Problem

Post by zaneclark »

I received the question below from a membership clerk and need some help with it:

"The financial clerk backed up some financial data recently which deleted some of the membership information for a specific period of time. We have resolved this issue. In addition, we now have 142 members in nursery. It randomly selected individuals and families and placed them on the nursery rolls. I have tried to remove those names from the nursery but they can only be moved to another primary class. If you understand the problem and can help me I would greatly appreciate it."

Any ideas on this one?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

zaneclark wrote:I have tried to remove those names from the nursery but they can only be moved to another primary class.
This does not seem like the correct behavior for MLS. Try this:

From the MLS menu bar, navigate to Organizations > Primary > Class Members.

Scroll down to the affected class (Nursery), and click the Remove link that corresponds to a person that needs to be removed from the class.

Even though the pop-up window that appears next asks you to Select the destination organization:, you can safely leave it blank and just click the Save button.

Then repeat this procedure for the remaining persons that need to be removed from the class.

If MLS is not functioning as described above, I would suspect some file corruption somewhere, and would do the following:
1. Back up the database (File > Backup to a File).
2. Download the latest version of MLS from mls.lds.org, and use it to perform a clean install of MLS.
3. After you have a clean install of MLS, refresh your database (File > Request Unit Refresh Data... > select Membership Records > click OK > File > Send/Receive Changes > wait a 2 to 24 hours and then repeat the Send/Receive Changes to get the refreshed records).

After you have done that, if MLS is still not functioning as described above, then it's time to call in the help of the stake clerk (or call Clerk Support if you are the stake clerk).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:The financial clerk backed up some financial data recently which deleted some of the membership information for a specific period of time.
More likely someone restored a backup which wiped things out. The two clerks need to understand there is no "Financial" or "Membership" backup. There's only "Backup". Any restore will affect them both.

From the symptoms, I'm tempted to say that someone may have altered the rules of the nursery (like removing a maximum age) such that everyone now qualifies. I'd check that first. Otherwise you'll continually be playing mop-up.

I'd also check the date on the computer - just so MLS can calculate everyone's age properly. (I can't think how you'd ever be able to function if it was that far off, but .... gotta check.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

In THIS post, jbh001 describes how to do a global reset for the entire Primary or Sunday School organizations. Be warned, it will remove any custom things like split classes, combined classes, etc., but they can be manually restored once the mess is cleared up. Not sure if this is the proper solution in your case, but it's worked for me a couple of times.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:More likely someone restored a backup which wiped things out. The two clerks need to understand there is no "Financial" or "Membership" backup. There's only "Backup". Any restore will affect them both.
And with that in mind, if things are really messed up, before restoring from a backup it would be prudent to print out hardcopies of some of the membership stuff, like HT and VT assignments, the Callings by Organization report, and attendance rolls for any custom or split classes in Primary and Sunday School. That way you have a hardcopy to reconstruct from if you need to.

I forgot to mention that it has been reported elsewhere in this forum that restoring from a backup forces MLS to rebuild its indexes. That usually fixes some problems instead of introducing new ones. Regardless, having hardcopies to reconstruct from are a good temporary safety net to create prior to embarking on anything major.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Mikerowaved wrote:In THIS post, jbh001 describes how to do a global reset for the entire Primary or Sunday School organizations. Be warned, it will remove any custom things like split classes, combined classes, etc., but they can be manually restored once the mess is cleared up. Not sure if this is the proper solution in your case, but it's worked for me a couple of times.
I have added additional info about this "Reset Classes" feature jbh001 mentions and also asked a clarifying question found at the following post later in the same thread:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post24611

Return to “Membership Help”