Temple Recommend Scanning Bug

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
terrellthomas

Temple Recommend Scanning Bug

Post by terrellthomas »

When scanning temple recommands at the completition of enter data you are returned to the top of the list. Should stay on the recommand you just entered. Most generally you have a spouse to enter also.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

terrellthomas wrote:When scanning temple recommands at the completition of enter data you are returned to the top of the list. Should stay on the recommand you just entered. Most generally you have a spouse to enter also.
I have added this to the wiki page for MLS bug reporting and feature requests:

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/MLS: ... uggestions
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

terrellthomas wrote:When scanning temple recommands at the completition of enter data you are returned to the top of the list. Should stay on the recommand you just entered. Most generally you have a spouse to enter also.

I'm not sure what you are doing to return to the top of the list. I have scanned at least a thousand recommends, and the list always stays positioned on the person I just scanned, and so I see the spouse right there without scrolling. Perhaps you can be more specific about the precise steps you are following. But as near as I can tell, MLS already does exactly what you suggest.

EDIT: Alan_Brown was successfully able to reproduce the bug later in this thread (specifically in MLS 2.9.1); see this post: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post20429
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible it's a scanner configuration issue. Wasn't there some sheets that were to be put in front of the scanner when it was installed to configure it?

The specific issue I'm thinking of is the scanner might be adding a keystroke at the end of each barcode (like a [Enter] key). That may or may not be desirable in this application.

You may want to open Notepad and scan a recommend and see exactly what happens. Does the cursor sit there at the end of the line? Did it tab over? Did it move to the start of the next line?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Great minds think alike :rolleyes:
I had the same thought as you as I read the first post in this thread - that somehow a c/r was being added to the output of the scanner.

Somehow I doubt if it's a bug or we'd be seeing a LOT more reports of this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:It's possible it's a scanner configuration issue. Wasn't there some sheets that were to be put in front of the scanner when it was installed to configure it?

The specific issue I'm thinking of is the scanner might be adding a keystroke at the end of each barcode (like a [Enter] key). That may or may not be desirable in this application.

You may want to open Notepad and scan a recommend and see exactly what happens. Does the cursor sit there at the end of the line? Did it tab over? Did it move to the start of the next line?

Interesting thought, but that can't be it. The keystrokes fed by the scanner would all go to the dialog where the recommend number and expiration date are entered. But any extra keystrokes would be consumed by that dialog. That dialog is dismissed, then there is one more final confirmation dialog that is presented before control is returned to the list of members. Keystrokes from the scanner can't possibly still be pending at that point.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Interesting thought, but that can't be it. The keystrokes fed by the scanner would all go to the dialog where the recommend number and expiration date are entered..
I'm not sure what you mean by that. As far as I can tell, the bar code scanner is nothing more then a second keyboard. It's no different then if you typed it. That's why it's happy to work in Notepad. Any extra keystrokes would end up going to the same place as any extra keystrokes from the keyboard would go - to wherever the focus had shifted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by that. As far as I can tell, the bar code scanner is nothing more then a second keyboard. It's no different then if you typed it. That's why it's happy to work in Notepad. Any extra keystrokes would end up going to the same place as any extra keystrokes from the keyboard would go - to wherever the focus had shifted.

You're right about how the scanner works -- it does only feed keystrokes. But I was trying to explain that the extra keystrokes could only be going to the dialog that is active when the scanning happens. It is a modal dialog, and so the keystrokes cannot be going anywhere else. For the keystrokes to affect the list, they would have to somehow stick around, waiting to be processed not in the active dialog, not in the one that follows, but in the one after that. That is impossible.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Problem is in MLS 2.9.1

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure what you are doing to return to the top of the list. I have scanned at least a thousand recommends, and the list always stays positioned on the person I just scanned, and so I see the spouse right there without scrolling. Perhaps you can be more specific about the precise steps you are following. But as near as I can tell, MLS already does exactly what you suggest.

Okay, tonight I just activated recommends for the first time using MLS 2.9.1. And lo and behold, after you activate a recommend you are indeed returned to the top of the list every time. So I apologize for jumping to the conclusion that it can't be MLS, just because I had never seen that problem in MLS before.

It must be a bug introduced in version 2.9.1. So it is worthy of passing on to the powers that be that it really should be fixed. It does really slow you down.
kcwhite-p40

Slow too...

Post by kcwhite-p40 »

Since the upgrade to 2.9.1, not only does it jump to the top of the membership list, but it also delays about 5 seconds before it allows you to start typing in the next name. Previous versions didn't do that, so I know it's not the hardware.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”