Emergency Preparedness Software

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
jay.askren

Emergency Preparedness Software

Post by jay.askren »

I just released a new version of my emergency preparedness database:

http://jay.askren.net/emergency/

It allows users to keep track of who in the ward has special skills (for example first aid training) , resources (for example 4X4 Truck, or chain saw) and special needs. The purpose is to keep track of information that might be helpful to know in the case of a natural disaster. It also allows you to see a map of your ward to help in your ward's emergency preparedness plan.
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

That sounds nifty. How do you communicate this information during an emergency?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

jeffphil wrote:That sounds nifty. How do you communicate this information during an emergency?
Emergencies come in various forms. Many (in fact most) may not affect everyone or even the infrastructure. My take on this application is that it allows you to know who has what in the event of an emergency. If you need to find out who has a generator, this program does a great job. It does not really address wide spread emergencies where power and communications are widespread.

Tom
jay.askren

Post by jay.askren »

Very true. In addition, our ward is using it more as a planning tool. We are using it to divide the ward into geographic zones. People within each zone would be able to help each other if there was a true disaster. The original intent of the software was to help create these zones so that the resources/skills/needs are fairly evenly spread across zones and so the people in the zones live relatively close to one another. Leaders will be assigned to each zone, and we could give the zone leaders a paper report for their zone. Though I must admit that I don't know if the paper reports are a good idea or not since the information can be of a private nature.

In addition there has been a big push in our stake to get members CERT trained. These people who have been CERT trained will most likely be the leaders for these zones.

Last, several members have also bought ham radios and got their ham radio license so they can help with communications in the event of a true disaster.

Anyhow, that's how we are using it and I thought I would share it in case it is helpful to anyone else.

tomw wrote:Emergencies come in various forms. Many (in fact most) may not affect everyone or even the infrastructure. My take on this application is that it allows you to know who has what in the event of an emergency. If you need to find out who has a generator, this program does a great job. It does not really address wide spread emergencies where power and communications are widespread.

Tom
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

The program looks great! I'd love to see it released as open source or developed into an open source project.

Where did you get the map data from? Is it possible to download/purchase additional maps for more detailed coverage? The Relief Society president in our ward has divided the ward up into zones based on the number of RS sisters in each ZIP code our ward entails. Each zone contains a number of zip codes equal to a number of sisters. I think a more effective way of doing this would be to divide the ward based on 1)geography (zip codes did this) 2) Resources and 3) Needs within each zone.

It seems that your solution may be just the tool for this.

Thanks!

Klabacka

Post by Klabacka »

Does this program still work good?
jmorris520

Re: Emergency Preparedness Software

Post by jmorris520 »

Downloaded the zip file & ran the exe file. Program loaded & launched but it is not importing the ward MLS csv file to the data base. What's the problem?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Note that the solution was provided in a post that is nearly six years old. The MLS csv export format has changed a few times since then. The current export format will not fit the program provided in that old post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
glenlarson

Post by glenlarson »

Our ward and stake could definately utilize this software. Please let me know if it gets updated to the current version of the MLS.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The user jay.askren has not posted to the forum since July 2008. I doubt he will see this request. Your best hope is to send an e-mail message to him. There is a link in the OP to the site to download the software. On that site is a list of members contributing to the software. I believe his e-mail address is the first one listed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”