Reset Organizations in MLS 2.9

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeffclark1070-p40

Reset Organizations in MLS 2.9

Post by jeffclark1070-p40 »

I have been having a problem with members belonging to the wrong classes in the organization section. When I go to reset a child that is listed in all the sunday school classes as well as primary; the person is always assigned to Gospel Essentials. What can I do to make these corrections easier? I don't want to go through each member and assign them to the appropriate classes. Is this a known problem?

Thank you
Jeff
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeffclark1070 wrote:I have been having a problem with members belonging to the wrong classes in the organization section. When I go to reset a child that is listed in all the sunday school classes as well as primary; the person is always assigned to Gospel Essentials. What can I do to make these corrections easier? I don't want to go through each member and assign them to the appropriate classes. Is this a known problem?

Thank you
Jeff

The problem is most likely that you didn't set the class rules for Gospel Essentials, so every person matches the rules for that class and thus gets added automatically.

See this post for more information. For details on changing class rules, see this LDSClerks wiki article.
jeffclark1070-p40

reset all members

Post by jeffclark1070-p40 »

I corrected the problem that you described however is there a way to reset all members organizations or will I need to go through 600 members one by one?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeffclark1070 wrote:I corrected the problem that you described however is there a way to reset all members organizations or will I need to go through 600 members one by one?

In the Sunday School organization area of MLS, all the way at the bottom is a link called "Reset Classes". This is a rather drastic step, but it may be helpful for cleaning things up and starting over. It will reset the list of classes to the default set of classes, and put all the members in those classes according to the default rules. Then you can start over with any specialty classes such as Gospel Essentials, setting the rules properly, and manually adding the specific members of those classes.

The Primary organization has a similar option.

Even if you don't choose the Reset Classes option, I wouldn't think that you would need to go through 600 members in any case, unless your classes are a huge mess. It should be easier to work through the classes and make sure their member lists are correct, rather than work through each member and make sure they are in the right classes.
fz6y85

classes not correct for some Primary children

Post by fz6y85 »

Weaslo have an issue with some children not being correctly recorded in their classes. I have manually attached them, but resetting them to defaults removes them. It has been happening with one child for many years, and the stake clerk doesn't have the answer.....
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

For some reason, to me this sounds similar to the following apparently unrelated glitch, but I don't know why.
http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post12613

I'm sure you have probably already tried this, but I would double check the membership records of the children in question. I suspect that perhaps you might not have actual membership records for them, but instead have temporary records for them within MLS. There are a couple of ways to check this.

One way is to see if you can print and Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS; Membership > Print Records > Individual's IOS) for the children in question. If you can't print an IOS for them then you are probably dealing with a temporary record. To double check for that, from the MLS menu bar navigate to Membership > Records > Remove Temporary Records and see if they show up. If any of the children in question show up, you will (at some point) want to delete the temporary record and create an actual record for them instead (Membership > Records > New Child of Record). You might also want to see if they show up as a nonmember record (Membership > Records > Remove Nonmember) or out of unit member (Membership > Records > Remove Out of Unit Member) as well just to be safe.

If the children's records don't show up there, I would double check the individual membership record itself to make any correction needed to the birth dates.

Assuming you have already tried the Reset Classes links for both Primary and Sunday School (after printing out hardcopies of those classes so you can manually reconstruct anything that needs to be manually reconstructed) I would try the Reset Organizations For Member link on the individual's membership record.

Some have also said that restoring from a backup forces MLS to rebuild its indexes. Simply do the usual backup of MLS (File > Backup to a File) and then immediately do a restore from it (File > Restore from a File). This might fix some of those glitches.

Requesting a unit refresh might also help (File > Request Unit Refresh Data... > select Membership Records > click OK > then do a Send/Receive Changes). This will transmit the refresh flag to CHQ. You may need to wait a few hours and do another Send/Receive Changes it get the return response since I am unsure whether MLS can complete the whole refresh within a single transmission or not.
http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=12613#post12613
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

For some reason, I don't know why, but to me this sounds similar to the following apparently unrelated glitch. http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post12613

Is it a temporary record?
I'm sure you have probably already tried this, but I would double check the membership records of the children in question. I suspect that perhaps you might not have actual membership records for them, but instead have temporary records for them within MLS. There are a couple of ways to check this.

One way is to see if you can print and Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS; Membership > Print Records > Individual's IOS) for the children in question. If you can't print an IOS for them then you are probably dealing with a temporary record. To double check for that, from the MLS menu bar navigate to Membership > Records > Remove Temporary Records and see if they show up. Just to be safe, you might also want to see if they show up as a nonmember record (Membership > Records > Remove Nonmember) or as an out of unit member (Membership > Records > Remove Out of Unit Member).

If any of the children in question show up, you will (at some point) want to delete/remove the temporary record and create an actual record for them instead (Membership > Records > New Child of Record).

Is the birth date correct?
If the children's records don't show up in any of the temporary record spots mentioned above, I would double check the individual membership record itself and make any needed corrections.

Are your class rules correct?
Assuming you have already tried the Reset Classes links for both Primary and Sunday School (after printing out hardcopies of those classes so you can manually reconstruct anything that needs to be manually reconstructed) I would try the Reset Organizations For Member link on the individual's membership record.

Have you tried rebuilding the MLS indexes?
Some have also said that restoring from a backup forces MLS to rebuild its indexes. Simply do the usual backup of MLS (File > Backup to a File) and then immediately do a restore from it (File > Restore from a File). This might fix some of those glitches.

Have you tried refreshing the membership data?
Requesting a unit refresh might also help (File > Request Unit Refresh Data... > select Membership Records > click OK > then do a Send/Receive Changes). This will transmit the refresh flag to CHQ. You may need to wait a few hours and do another Send/Receive Changes to get the return response since I am unsure if MLS can complete the whole refresh within a single transmission.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”