Update Clerk Computer Memory

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
chfran-p40

Update Clerk Computer Memory

Post by chfran-p40 »

We would like to upgrade out Clerk's computer memory from 256MB to full capacity.

When I put our Service Tag # in Dell.com's website it says our computer was bought outside the USA.

Anyone have any idea how we can upgrade our system without jumping through too many hoops?

Bp. Francom
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

chfran wrote:We would like to upgrade out Clerk's computer memory from 256MB to full capacity.

When I put our Service Tag # in Dell.com's website it says our computer was bought outside the USA.

Anyone have any idea how we can upgrade our system without jumping through too many hoops?

Bp. Francom
Can give provide the model of the computer and whether you're in the US or somewhere else?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First, before spending money, I'd suggest you assess when the computer will be replaced. The church should be replacing them after 5 years. Some of the GX270 (and possibly GX280) should be replaced next year. I'd suggest checking with your FM group on when they plan on replacing them.

Second, I'd suggest shopping around. I don't know as I'd buy the memory upgrade from Dell. I'm partial to Crucial, but they are by no means the only good choice. I wouldn't go with anyone who couldn't look up your computer model and tell you what you need.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
srweight

FM Group says computer replacement

Post by srweight »

We were told that our computers would be replaced in March 2009
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

srweight wrote:We were told that our computers would be replaced in March 2009

Because our computers will be replaced in 2009 as well, we have made the decision not to upgrade the memory in most of them. We have also made the decision to upgrade immediately if the new computers do not come with sufficient memory.

In retrospect, we should have upgraded all of them a little less than five years ago. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:We have also made the decision to upgrade immediately if the new computers do not come with sufficient memory.
The new ones have been arriving with 1GB of memory, which is plenty of memory for WinXP.

The memory from the old GX270 won't fit in the new machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RussellHltn wrote:The new ones have been arriving with 1GB of memory, which is plenty of memory for WinXP.

The memory from the old GX270 won't fit in the new machines.

Anyone know if there is any talk of eventually switching them to Vista? I hope not, but if so, 2Gb is recommended just for that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:Anyone know if there is any talk of eventually switching them to Vista? I hope not, but if so, 2Gb is recommended just for that.

Only speculation so far. Currently MLS doesn't run under Vista, so it's not going to be in the next few months.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:The new ones have been arriving with 1GB of memory, which is plenty of memory for WinXP.
And MLS. Good to know. Thanks.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

crislapi wrote:Anyone know if there is any talk of eventually switching them to Vista? I hope not, but if so, 2Gb is recommended just for that.
And here's more info on MLS and Vista if you're curious:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1686

Return to “Clerk Computers”