Tithing

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
cvisbal-p40

Tithing

Post by cvisbal-p40 »

I think it would be a great idea if we could pay tithing online. What are the chances this could take place in the future?
ShellineSE

Post by ShellineSE »

HansenSD

Post by HansenSD »

cvisbal wrote:I think it would be a great idea if we could pay tithing online. What are the chances this could take place in the future?
I'm not quite sure how this works. I have been paying my tithing electronically online for several years now. I do it through my electronic bill pay. If interesting let me know and I will send you the information.
HansenBK

Electronic Tithing

Post by HansenBK »

Not to put a frown on the electronic payment method, but this creates a lot of extra work for the ward clerks. They have to fill out the paperwork that each individual would do and sometimes guess about what it is for.
tedarchdeacon

Post by tedarchdeacon »

bh5k wrote:Not to put a frown on the electronic payment method, but this creates a lot of extra work for the ward clerks. They have to fill out the paperwork that each individual would do and sometimes guess about what it is for.
Do the ward clerks have to do this extra work when the electronic payments are sent to Salt Lake? I would refer you to the other thread shellinese mentions above.
WelchTC

Please be mindful

Post by WelchTC »

I've made a post hereabout discussing tithing on these forums.

Tom
chrissv

Reaction

Post by chrissv »

It's funny - many years ago I asked the same question in the Usenet group (soc.religion.mormon if I remember correctly). I was looking for a serious answer.

Well... I got a response - a lot of them in fact. Most of them were of an anti-Mormon flame, saying that's all we need, is for a way to let the big evil LDS Church get an electronic hook into our paychecks, etc. I was surprised as the negative tone of all of the replies.

I got no useful answer there. I am glad that I found some good information here...

Regards,

Steven
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

I have been paying my tithing electronically using my bank's online bill payment service for a couple years now. The church has a form you can fill out to do that. You just give your membership record number to the bank and set it up for each of the donation categories as different "payees" in the bank's website. The funds are electronically transferred to church headquarters, and you get a year-end summary report in the mail just as you would from your clerk's office. Saves the clerk the trouble.

You still go to your bishop for tithing settlement, although he has no knowledge of what you actually donated. You can either declare yourself a full tithe payer or let him guess at it. You don't have to show him the report or let him know what you donated.

-Jeff
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I really don't want this thread to go any farther than this. I appreciate the two of you keeping it informative, but nothing more can really be said about this topic.

For those of you who have been on the forums for a little while, you know we had some debates around this subject that were inappropriate for a technology forum/website. We do not discuss or interpret doctrine, church policy, scripture, or any of the like on these forums.

In this case, let me remind you that the payment of tithes and offerings should be paid by any of the approved means (NOTE: This statement implies nothing of the validity or invalidity of automated tithing payments). What is approved? That is between you, the Lord, your local leadership, and the Church Handbook of Instructions.

Thank you for abiding by the forum policies.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”