Obtaining Antivirus Updates – Restricted Access

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ccmichaelson-p40

Obtaining Antivirus Updates – Restricted Access

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

Policy states that the Stake Technology Clerk should update the stake and ward computers with the latest virus definitions - at least once a quarter.

However, our ward buildings are using the LDS Restricted Access firewall setting. When I attempt to download the Symantec def file from mls.lds.org, I'm redirected to the firewall rules page (because the redirect sends me to Symantec's website). I contacted the Global Support Desk and they said that they're unable to open up the symantec website under the restricted access settings.

How are the rest of you downloading virus definition files as well as Windows security updates? The Stake Presidency wants to keep the firewall settings restricted but it sure makes it difficult to perform the tasks I've been assigned.

If ethics weren't an issue, I could route each machine directly though the DSL modem and temporarily bypass the firewal (yes - I understand it's against policy) or contact the GSD and have them temporarily switch the firewall to unrestricted but there's got to be a better way. Perhaps ping the DNS entry and hit it via it's IP... might try that next time.

Thanks,
Cameron
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ccmichaelson wrote:Policy states that the Stake Technology Clerk should update the stake and ward computers with the latest virus definitions - at least once a quarter.

However, our ward buildings are using the LDS Restricted Access firewall setting. When I attempt to download the Symantec def file from mls.lds.org, I'm redirected to the firewall rules page (because the redirect sends me to Symantec's website). I contacted the Global Support Desk and they said that they're unable to open up the symantec website under the restricted access settings.

How are the rest of you downloading virus definition files as well as Windows security updates? The Stake Presidency wants to keep the firewall settings restricted but it sure makes it difficult to perform the tasks I've been assigned.

If ethics weren't an issue, I could route each machine directly though the DSL modem and temporarily bypass the firewal (yes - I understand it's against policy) or contact the GSD and have them temporarily switch the firewall to unrestricted but there's got to be a better way. Perhaps ping the DNS entry and hit it via it's IP... might try that next time.

Thanks,
Cameron

The policy of downloading updated virus definition files at least quarterly was in place long before my stake had Internet connections. So you can always do what I did back then -- download the anti-virus update on my home computer, save the file on a flash drive, and then take that flash drive to each computer in the stake.
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote: -- download the anti-virus update on my home computer, save the file on a flash drive, and then take that flash drive to each computer in the stake.

That is the way I do it. It is a time saver too. Even with an internet connection it seems to take 5 minutes to download the anti-virus updates. Multiply that by the number of computers you need to update. Much quicker to download once to a flash drive and install from there on the different computers.
jeromer7

Underutilized Technology

Post by jeromer7 »

Alan_Brown wrote:The policy of downloading updated virus definition files at least quarterly was in place long before my stake had Internet connections. So you can always do what I did back then -- download the anti-virus update on my home computer, save the file on a flash drive, and then take that flash drive to each computer in the stake.
If a stake chooses to remain on dialup I can see this, but it seems to negate one of the benefits of having a broadband connection. It is hard for me to rationalize the need to drive to and manually update each computer that has a broadband connection with the ability (if it were not blocked) to automatically update when it is turned on at least weekly.
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:If a stake chooses to remain on dialup I can see this, but it seems to negate one of the benefits of having a broadband connection. It is hard for me to rationalize the need to drive to and manually update each computer that has a broadband connection with the ability (if it were not blocked) to automatically update when it is turned on at least weekly.
Well, the people on Restricted Access can always request that the Symantec site be recategorized.

However, it's not accurate to allude to "each computer that has a broadband connection with the ability (if it were not blocked) to automatically update." There are additional problems at this point with automatic Symantec AV updates, as discussed in this post (read the whole thread). I'm not sure what server would be hit if automatic updates were working, and whether that server would be blocked by Restricted Access, but the point is moot at this point, since no one is getting automatic SAV updates (at least not without working around the Desktop 5.5 setup we are all supposed to be running).
ccmichaelson-p40

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Well, the people on Restricted Access can always request that the Symantec site be recategorized.
I already contacted a "Global Support Level II Tech & his Supervisor" and they are not able (or willing) to "re-categorize" Symantec. Based on my phone conversation with them, It was my impression that it's very difficult for them to re-categorize or assign URL's or domain names as "safe".

Just this Sunday I received a call from a Bishop wanting additional training on MLS. I told them they could go to clerk.lds.org, hit the training link, and then click the MLS training video but guess what... it didn't work because the Breeze plugin was installed nor could they install it. A few weeks ago another ward wanted to watch a potion of a previous conference talk but their media player wasn't at the correct version level to play it.

At this point I'm going to request that all ward buildings be switched to the less restrictive mode because like many others I can't spend all my time running around to all the ward buildings to install/update the latest plugin, AV update, windows update, etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ccmichaelson wrote:At this point I'm going to request that all ward buildings be switched to the less restrictive mode because like many others I can't spend all my time running around to all the ward buildings to install/update the latest plugin, AV update, windows update, etc.
That is wise. The LDS Restricted Access filtering level is clearly advertised as allowing only LDS sites and webmail. If you really want all those other sites, then that's only going to be possible if the stake president authorizes a change to LDS Extended Access.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”