new FamilySearch accessibility features

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

new FamilySearch accessibility features

Post by rmrichesjr »

Does anyone here know of any accessibility features planned for the new FamilySearch? I'm in the current beta test, and nothing has jumped out at me as a specific feature for the sight impaired. One reason I ask is the wife of a friend of mine is in process of going blind. If it's not practical to put much on the new FamilySearch site for the sight-impaired, perhaps the API might provide opportunity for an application program that could help enable the sight-impaired to use the system.
PhillipsCJ

People with Disabilities includes a lot of people...

Post by PhillipsCJ »

rmrichesjr wrote:...any accessibility features planned for the new FamilySearch?
It seems like this would be an especially relevant issue because of the number of users who may have sight and/or mobility limitations resulting from old age. I would be very interested to hear how accessibility concerns are being addressed as well...
ClarkeGJ

Accessiblity for Seeing-impaired

Post by ClarkeGJ »

There is not anything developed specifically for "Accessibiity" in the first version of New FamilySearch. Standard browser-based "screen-readers" do work with content and ALT tags, however, audio assistance may not be possible for all navigation.
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
tomj
Community Moderators

Accesibility WebAim

Post by tomj »

http://www.webaim.org/ is an initiative of the Centers for Persons with disabilities at Utah State University. I know that they have a lot of really great content/suggestions/tools for making sites Section 508 compliant.

I guess it's more important to get the product out the door, but I'm confident that the church will seek to make it as compatible as possible for assistive technology users.

Return to “Family History”