Addresses on Unit Web Sites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jbehling-p40

Addresses on Unit Web Sites

Post by jbehling-p40 »

Ok what can we do when we have been tring to go through the proper channells of 10 months to get our address correct on the church web site and its still not correct. I am at my wits end please help.
jbehling-p40

Email addresses

Post by jbehling-p40 »

Ok we can put email addreses in MLS. Members can also add email address on the web site. As an administrator I need to be able to edit these addreses. I have tried to get a number of members to fix some bad addreses for the last year and they keep on telling me they don't know how and they would like me to make the corrections. I can correct them or delete them and I get a long series of rejects everytime I send an annoucment out. I need to get this fixed. Is there a way I can send this request in to some one or can we please get right to be able to fix this ourselves please
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbehling wrote:Ok what can we do when we have been tring to go through the proper channells of 10 months to get our address correct on the church web site and its still not correct. I am at my wits end please help.

What address are you referring to? A member's address or a building address?

A member's address comes from MLS, so any address corrections for a member must be done there and will show up within a week from the time they are corrected.

Building addresses need to be corrected through your local FM group.

What channels have you been using? If you let us know what you have tried we would better be able to come up with additional suggestions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbehling wrote:Ok we can put email addreses in MLS. Members can also add email address on the web site. As an administrator I need to be able to edit these addreses. I have tried to get a number of members to fix some bad addreses for the last year and they keep on telling me they don't know how and they would like me to make the corrections. I can correct them or delete them and I get a long series of rejects everytime I send an annoucment out. I need to get this fixed. Is there a way I can send this request in to some one or can we please get right to be able to fix this ourselves please

You're not the first person to make this request, but at this point only the users themselves can change their e-mail address. See this post for more clarifiication.

The official list of suggestions for the next revision of the LUWS system does include this request.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbehling wrote:Ok what can we do when we have been tring to go through the proper channells of 10 months to get our address correct on the church web site and its still not correct. I am at my wits end please help.
Well, the proper channel is for your ward or branch clerk to update your membership record on the computer in the clerk's office. Once that happens, the LUWS should update within a few days.

Ask your clerk for an Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS). If the address is not correct, ask him to please correct it and give you another IOS.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jbehling wrote:Ok what can we do ... to get our address correct on the church web site and its still not correct. I am at my wits end please help.
I was under the impression this was linked to the address listed under system options in MLS (Edit > System Options > Unit).

Perhaps you've already tried this channel as well, but maps.lds.org allows you to send feedback to correct the location of a meeting house. Search for and find your meeting house (at the incorrect address) then follow these instructions from their FAQs:
Q. What can I do if a meetinghouse icon Image points to the wrong location for a meetinghouse?
A. Navigate on the map to the correct location of the meetinghouse, click on the Place Marker Image button, and then click on the correct location on the map (you may want to use a satellite or aerial image to identify the correct location). When you are satisfied with the location of the Place Marker, click on the Feedback button located just above the top-right corner of the map. When the Feedback page opens, enter any additional information, including name and e-mail address, and then click the Submit Feedback button. The location information is automatically sent to Church headquarters for review.
Get your entire ward to do it and then maybe they'll get the hint!
jbehling wrote:Ok we can put email addreses in MLS. ... As an administrator I need to be able to edit these addreses (on LUWS).... I need to get this fixed. Is there a way I can send this request in to some one or can we please get right to be able to fix this ourselves please.
I remembered stumbling across this post for correcting accounts linked to the wrong membership record. This is normally a spouse. The fix required calling HQ, which was loathe to do it. I would imagine even more so for this type of request. Otherwise, as mentioned, email addresses can only be updated by the account holder.

This leaves perhaps two options. 1. Create such a need in your ward for the ward website that members are motivated to login and have a current email address. If you figure out how to do this, please let the rest of us know! Some ideas include no more printed directories. Have the official directory be the one found on line. That, I know, opens a whole new can of worms. Also, only post ward announcements online. No more announcements in the program. Only ward calendar is the online one. You get the idea. In order to get the info, members have to log in. However, this is neither realistic nor fair to those who don't have easy access to computers or the internet.

That brings me to option #2, knowing full well I'm going to get jumped on for saying this. I'll preface my suggestion by giving the link to the church's policy on websites and email programs. That being said, it is very easy to create a custom report of member emails. This report can be saved as a csv file. It is just as easy to import that csv file into just about any email program (ie google). Problem solved. You can edit the email addresses in MLS, correcting them as you encounter errors. Your email list is as accurate as you keep it. A side benefit is now you can also store sent emails, save drafts, receive replies, and keep a general history that you can turn over to the next guy, etc. Until the LUWS email feature becomes at least a reasonable alternative to these programs, it's more work to use than it's worth.
lajackson wrote:Well, the proper channel is for your ward or branch clerk to update your membership record on the computer in the clerk's office. Once that happens, the LUWS should update within a few days.
You'll probably notice soon, but the question is in reference to email addresses.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:As mentioned, email addresses can only be updated by the account holder. Knowing full well I'm going to get jumped on for saying so. I'll preface my suggestion by giving the link to the church's policy. It is very easy to create a custom report of member emails. This report can be save as a csv file. It is just as easy to import that csv file into just about any email program (ie google). Problem solved. You can edit the email addresses in MLS, correcting them as you encounter errors. A side benefit is now you can also store sent emails, save drafts, etc. Until the email feature becomes at least a reasonable alternative to these programs, it's more of a detriment than help.

I'm not going to jump on you, but your comment does need some clarifying.

What you are suggesting is that e-mail addresses can be stored completely independently of LUWS. While this is true and may have some benefits that you mentioned, it is important to understand that this will have no effect on LUWS -- there is no connection to the LUWS leadership directories, or membership directories, or the LUWS ability to subscribe to receive notification when calendar events for particular organizations are added or changed.

So depending on what a ward or stake is trying to accomplish with those e-mail addresses, the non-LUWS solution may meet the needs, but it may also be far from "Problem solved" if integration with LUWS is a requirement.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:You'll probably notice soon, but the question is in reference to email addresses.

Yes, but it wasn't when I answered the question. I really should wait to answer a question until it is completely asked, shouldn't I? [grin]
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jbehling wrote:Ok we can put email addreses in MLS. Members can also add email address on the web site. As an administrator I need to be able to edit these addreses. I have tried to get a number of members to fix some bad addreses for the last year and they keep on telling me they don't know how and they would like me to make the corrections. I can correct them or delete them and I get a long series of rejects everytime I send an annoucment out. I need to get this fixed. Is there a way I can send this request in to some one or can we please get right to be able to fix this ourselves please
To update the ward's/branch's physical address:
When logged in as the ward clerk, bishop or similar user with administrative rights in MLS, from the MLS menu bar, navigate to Edit > System Options > Unit > click the Edit link in the Address section, make whatever changes are required, click Save > Save > Close, do a Send/Receive Changes to transmit the update to CHQ, then wait a few days for the update to make it to the LUWS.

To update your home address on the LUWS:
Have your ward clerk make the change in MLS, followed by a Send/Receive Changes to transmit the update to CHQ, then wait a few days for the update to make it to the LUWS.

Email addresses in MLS don't necessarily (if at all) transfer to the LUWS.

To change your email address on the LUWS:
Navigate to your unit's home page.
Click the Update Profile link in the upper right-hand corned of the page.
Provide your log in credentials (username and password).
Type in your new email address in the corresponding box.
Click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen.

If a user still cannot figure out how to do this, as a website administrator you might try logging in to the LUWS administrator page and disabling their user account.

It was unclear what your original request was, but I think I covered all the possibilities. :D
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jbh001 wrote:
Email addresses in MLS don't necessarily (if at all) transfer to the LUWS.

If a user still cannot figure out how to do this, as a website administrator you might try logging in to the LUWS administrator page and disabling their user account.
Email addresses in the MLS program have nothing to do with what's in the LUWS program. They're totally seperate from one another.

I suggest that if a user "cannot figure out" how to make corrections with their LUWS profile, it would be better to attempt to help them first. :)

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”