Administrator Access to MLS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

Administrator Access to MLS

Post by zaneclark »

I have noted that several of the posts regard conflicts between the MLS and the online directory and it is usually suggested they should check with one of the ward clerks to resolve this. I guess I have a unique position in that I have full access to the MLS. I do my own checking and if I find any problems, I refer them to the clerks to make any necessary changes. I am also able to check the leadership directory on the MLS to see if I have missed any changes. I have created a custom list on the MLS to print out only the name, member number and confirmation date. I print a new one of these every few months and keep it handy to take care of the frequent calls on forgotten passwords. If you are an administrator, you might want to check with the bishop to see if you could get access. It saves a lot of hassle.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:I have noted that several of the posts regard conflicts between the MLS and the online directory and it is usually suggested they should check with one of the ward clerks to resolve this. I guess I have a unique position in that I have full access to the MLS. I do my own checking and if I find any problems, I refer them to the clerks to make any necessary changes. I am also able to check the leadership directory on the MLS to see if I have missed any changes. I have created a custom list on the MLS to print out only the name, member number and confirmation date. I print a new one of these every few months and keep it handy to take care of the frequent calls on forgotten passwords. If you are an administrator, you might want to check with the bishop to see if you could get access. It saves a lot of hassle.
Thanks for the tip. However, if you're an administrator you already have access to everything on the MLS system that you administer.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:Thanks for the tip. However, if you're an administrator you already have access to everything on the MLS system that you administer.
I think Zane meant "If you are an LUWS administrator, you might want to check with the bishop to see if you could get MLS access...."
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Again I needed to be more specific... Yes, I am the ward web administrator as well as the stake guru. I have noted that the ward administrators in my stake often have little communication with the clerks, thus the suggestion that administrators might like to ask for MLS access to facilitate their calling.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Zane, you bring up a good point. I'm both a clerk and LUWS admin and I'm constantly finding myself getting information off the one to put on the other. Things like preferred names and ward callings come to mind. I can't see how someone without MLS access could keep everything updated properly.

(It will be MUCH easier for me now that our MLS machine can also access the LUWS at the same time. Now if we only had dual screens... :rolleyes:)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In practice, at least one admin needs access to both. It makes sense for a clerk or executive secretary to be handing the Preferred names and callings.

On the other hand, there are aspects of LUWS that could be handled effectively by someone else. For example the news and calendering. In that case it seems like it would make sense to have the person who handles the Sunday Bulletin do both.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”