LUWS e-mail interface

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
lgrobbins-p40

LUWS e-mail interface

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

I am looking for some help in understanding how e-mail addresses for individual members listed in the Membership Section of the LUWS are inputed and updated.

I was under the impression that when an e-mail address was inputed to an individual members record in MLS that e-mail address was transferred to the members name in the LUWS. I am seeing several odd things on the LUWS.

For example, I edited e-mail addresses for a husband (initial entry) and wife (corrected an old address) in their individual records in MLS. After a few days I checked the listing on the LUWS and my edits were not included. When I went to the Administrators part of the LUWS I noticed the e-mail address for the husband (which I added in MLS) shows up. For the wife her old e-mail address was still listed on both the non-administrator and administrator views of the LUWS.

Any explanations...ideas?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lgrobbins wrote:I am looking for some help in understanding how e-mail addresses for individual members listed in the Membership Section of the LUWS are inputed and updated.

I was under the impression that when an e-mail address was inputed to an individual members record in MLS that e-mail address was transferred to the members name in the LUWS. I am seeing several odd things on the LUWS.

For example, I edited e-mail addresses for a husband (initial entry) and wife (corrected an old address) in their individual records in MLS. After a few days I checked the listing on the LUWS and my edits were not included. When I went to the Administrators part of the LUWS I noticed the e-mail address for the husband (which I added in MLS) shows up. For the wife her old e-mail address was still listed on both the non-administrator and administrator views of the LUWS.

Any explanations...ideas?

Thanks!
There is absolutely no connection between e-mail addresses in MLS and those in the LUWS. E-mail addresses in LUWS come from the user's profile that they created when they registered to use the LUWS (or subsequently updated).

The only way an LUWS e-mail address can be corrected is for the user to login to the LUWS and update their profile -- the administrator cannot change the e-mail address. The e-mail address for the husband that you noticed in LUWS matches the e-mail address in MLS is simply a coincidence -- he must have entered the same address in LUWS that you entered in MLS. Nothing you do in MLS with e-mail addresses will affect the LUWS.

There are a variety of threads on this forum on this topic, and many administrators are frustrated with how this works, but that's the way it is for now.
lgrobbins-p40

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

OK thank you for the clarification. One question still remains however. In the administrator view of the LUWS I see an e-mail address by the name of the husband. That e-mail address does not show up on the regular (non-adminostrator) view of the member. Why would that be?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lgrobbins wrote:OK thank you for the clarification. One question still remains however. In the administrator view of the LUWS I see an e-mail address by the name of the husband. That e-mail address does not show up on the regular (non-adminostrator) view of the member. Why would that be?
In the user's profile there is an option "Show your e-mail address in directories and lists?" If the user sets that to "No" then the e-mail address will not show up in any of the regular views. But the administrator can see the e-mail address on the administrator pages, regardless of that privacy setting. My guess is that the user has indeed chosen in his profile to hide his e-mail address.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:In the user's profile there is an option "Show your e-mail address in directories and lists?" If the user sets that to "No" then the e-mail address will not show up in any of the regular views. But the administrator can see the e-mail address on the administrator pages, regardless of that privacy setting. My guess is that the user has indeed chosen in his profile to hide his e-mail address.

In the regular views, there is just an envelope anyway, is there not? I thought that even if the user hides the actual e-mail address, the little envelope should still be there so they can be sent a message through the system. I have not explored it very much, though.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:In the regular views, there is just an envelope anyway, is there not? I thought that even if the user hides the actual e-mail address, the little envelope should still be there so they can be sent a message through the system. I have not explored it very much, though.
Although, if you click the envelope, you will be able to see their email address, which would go against the promise of hiding it found in that profile checkbox.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:In the regular views, there is just an envelope anyway, is there not? I thought that even if the user hides the actual e-mail address, the little envelope should still be there so they can be sent a message through the system. I have not explored it very much, though.
No, that's not how it works. If the user chooses to hide their e-mail address, the little envelope is not there, and they will not receive any e-mail sent by any regular user using the site. That includes both individual e-mails and any sent to an organization in a leadership directory. The way the e-mail interface works, there is no way to specify that regular users can send you e-mail without exposing your e-mail address to all registered users of your stake's site.

However, users who hide their e-mail address will still receive broadcast e-mails from the administrator, both general broadcasts as those for events connected to particular organizations they subscribed to.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Although, if you click the envelope, you will be able to see their email address, which would go against the promise of hiding it found in that profile checkbox.
Which is why the envelope doesn't appear at all if a user specifies in their profile that their e-mail address should not appear in directories and lists.

Return to “Main Church Website”