Putting a hold on a record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
geek

Putting a hold on a record

Post by geek »

Is there a formal process by we can prevent a membership from being pulled from the ward without authorization from the bishop?

Our bishop attempted to send a request to prevent the movement of a record through "Special Requests" via iMLS, but apparently that isn't the process. Is there a number to call and request this?

(Also, we have had a couple of cases where records of members have been repeatedly removed from the ward (and they were living in our ward, with callings). We ultimately found the miscommunication and corrected it, but being able to have put a hold on those might have saved time while we straightened it out.)
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geek wrote:Is there a formal process by we can prevent a membership from being pulled from the ward without authorization from the bishop?

Our bishop attempted to send a request to prevent the movement of a record through "Special Requests" via iMLS, but apparently that isn't the process. Is there a number to call and request this?

(Also, we have had a couple of cases where records of members have been repeatedly removed from the ward (and they were living in our ward, with callings). We ultimately found the miscommunication and corrected it, but being able to have put a hold on those might have saved time while we straightened it out.)
I'm not sure why an MLS Special Request wouldn't have worked. See, for example, this post from a Church employee who says that you can request a membership hold that way.

I'm curious what feedback you received that led you to say "apparently that isn't the process."

But the Bishop can call the regular Clerk and Leader Support number and request a hold.
geek

Post by geek »

Thanks for the feedback. All I know was that an attempt was made to do this via a Special Request in MLS, and then yesterday, I was asked by the Ward Clerk to find out if there was "another way".
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
jmjohnstone-p40

Post by jmjohnstone-p40 »

I used the special requests option in MLS for this very purpose. A few days later a message came back from headquarters confirming that the records move hold had been placed as requested. I believe that the Stake also received the same message from headquarters. Our request included the member name and membership number with a request for a move restriction per the Bishop and Stake President.
uofufan-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by uofufan-p40 »

You can make a hold request through MLS using the 'Special Request' feature. However, it can be somewhat delayed as it will go to a different department first. A somewhat quicker way is to send a regular message through MLS with all of the information for the member (it does need to come from MLS, not email). A hold can be placed using this method, but can only be released by the Bishop calling directly to HQ or if he receives a letter.

Return to “Membership Help”