Subscribe to Ward Calendar?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
JCsHands-p40

Subscribe to Ward Calendar?

Post by JCsHands-p40 »

Is there an address that I or our members can use to subscribe to the Ward WebSite? I know that we have download them and import them, but we would prefer to be able to subscribe to them.
Or, I think that the answer is no, Could I host the exported calendar on a private server and then allow our members to subscribe to that?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

There's no way of subscribing to your ward calendar that I know of.
The only method is to have an account and download it. As to storing the calendar on another site, I don't know what the policy is in regards to that one. My opinion is that the members would be better served if they just used the calendar as it is since there's other features available and just not the calendar. Keeping it updated would be a continued challenge.

For those who may need instructions on how to obtain access to their ward's web site note the following;

To start out go to http://www.lds.org and click on "About The Church", then click on "Stake and Ward Web Sites". You will be given a logon screen. On the screen you'll see a link title "Obtain an Account". Click on that link.

You will need your membership number, which you can get from your recommend or contact your membership clerk. You'll also need your date of confirmation.

Once you create your account and logon then you'll be at your home ward's page on lds.org which will include the calendar as well as access to your ward's membership directory. Your account also gives you access to the other wards in the stake as well as the stake calendar.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Techgy wrote:My opinion is that the members would be better served if they just used the calendar as it is since there's other features available and just not the calendar. Keeping it updated would be a continued challenge.
Hence a rationale for subscription to the calendar instead of download and import. That is the whole point with the subscription model. The administrator updates one item on the calendar, and everyone with a subscription to it automatically gets the update without having to re-download and import it again into their smartphone.

Hopefully being able to have a secure subscription to the ward calendar and a secure RSS feed/subscription to the ward/stake News and Information section will be included in LUWS 2.0. Those features will increase the usefulness of the LUWS.

(Now, if only there was a was way to have my iPhone securely subscribe to the LUWS ward directory, that would be sweet too.)
caldjeff

Post by caldjeff »

I agree that allowing subscriptions to ward/stake calendars would be a huge help in keeping me organized as a stake YM secretary. Currently, everybody shows up to AP Committee meetings with printouts of the stake calendar, which is usually out of date the day after you print it. I've started using Google Calendar a lot lately and I'm amazed at its capabilities, especially for staying up to date on your mobile device. Having a read-only url for an iCal based calendar it would be huge! Given that you can already export as iCal/vCal compliant, it doesn't seem like a stretch or that significant amount of time would be required. Seems like a perfect community mini-project.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”