Compassionate Service Meals: Fast Offering Expense?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

steveheath wrote:Where can I find a copy of the audit checklist?
In MLS from the menu bar select Other Resources > Church Audits > Ward Financial Audit. It is not necessary, however, to open MLS to open any of the audit checklists. They are PDF documents. On a Windows XP computer the path and file for the ward audit checklist is
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data\forms\WBAud.pdf. On a Windows 7 computer the path is C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data\forms\WBAud.pdf (Note this is a hidden folder).

The information for expense payments and FO recipient name is on page 8, column 4.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
steveheath

Post by steveheath »

jdlessley wrote:In MLS from the menu bar select Other Resources > Church Audits > Ward Financial Audit. It is not necessary, however, to open MLS to open any of the audit checklists. They are PDF documents. On a Windows XP computer the path and file for the ward audit checklist is
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data\forms\WBAud.pdf. On a Windows 7 computer the path is C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data\forms\WBAud.pdf (Note this is a hidden folder).

The information for expense payments and FO recipient name is on page 8, column 4.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
greggo

Post by greggo »

steveheath wrote:These meals are intended to be used in situations that require swift action.
Unless you have an unusually large or overly "needy" ward, I don't see the need for preparing many meals for immediate use. When my wife was RS Pres, she always kept a ready meal in our freezer for whenever the normal VT/Compassionate Service resources couldn't meet an immediate need. She never needed more than one in reserve.
drepouille

Re: Compassionate Service Meals

Post by drepouille »

The thought occurred to me that there are many members who would be happy to make or purchase and deliver meals, but who cannot afford to do so. I know the whole idea of service is to give of your time, talents, and resources. There are some who have the time and talents, but not the resources to assist others in the ward. Would it be appropriate to reimburse these members using budget funds, assuming they can provide sales receipts for their costs?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Would it be appropriate to reimburse these members
I believe that would be a decision for the bishop to make, probably after a very interesting discussion with the ward council.
cchang

Post by cchang »

lajackson wrote:
drepouille wrote:Would it be appropriate to reimburse these members
I believe that would be a decision for the bishop to make, probably after a very interesting discussion with the ward council.
Even after a careful discussion with the Ward Council and approved, can the funds be taken from Fast Offering assistance or should it come from the Ward budget? Does the Bishop get audited for these "compassionate service" Fast Offering expenses and what would make it difficult for the Bishop to decide if it should come from FO or Budget or is there a Max limit in these FO per year? I agree that members have the time but not the resources to help with these types of services and the budget is already tight so can FO be provided? I understand that compassionate services does not always have to involve something monetarily but it would be nice once in a while to help in these situations when it does require it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”