Newly wed couple living with parents

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jaysonplazo

Newly wed couple living with parents

Post by jaysonplazo »

Hi, i have a question.

I got married 2 weeks ago and at the moment we are living with her parents. I came from another ward and when they have moved my record I was put in the household record of her father so I was listed under him. Is this the norm or can me and my wife have our separate household even if we are living in the same address as her parents?

Thanks

Moderator note: The attached screenshot was deleted, because it contained much personal information.
Last edited by rmrichesjr on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted screenshot with much personal information
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Newly wed couple living with parents

Post by rmrichesjr »

I would suggest asking either the ward clerk, bishop, or branch president (depending on situation). I recall having seen instructions that it is okay to have multiple households at the same address. At least in the ward where I currently serve as membership clerk, in most situations like this there would be two households. Someone may chime in later with references to specific instructions.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

There can definitely be multiple households at the same address. In every unit I've been in married couples are always put in a separate household even if they are living with parents. But ultimately it's the bishops decision but he will definitely take the needs and wants of those involved strongly into account.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

You are a separate household, it makes no sense to have the records reflect this. One thing that might have happened is the records came in prior to the sealing/marriage but NO you are not the same household.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My recommendation is, don't get wrapped around the axle - just go to your clerk or assistant clerk-membership and ask them to split you into your own household with your wife. Then ask him to print you the Individual Ordinance Summaries (IOS) for your family so you can check everything to make sure it is correct. It really is that easy. I have been a clerk for many years and we often are given very limited information on the details. They may have received a text from the bishop stating only "move so and so into the address of such and such family."

Clerks are human and make the best guess given the information they have available. We make mistakes and make bad decisions due to flawed information from time to time, but we are happy to fix them.

My youngest 2 children, both recently returned missionaries, are still living at our home and each are their own separate household. My son has his record in the singles branch and my daughter chose to keep her record in our family ward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

A benefit of being a separate household, besides being easier to find in the directory, is that you can have separate ministering brothers assigned to you.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”